wiring up an immersion element.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why would the plumber have left this Neutral terminal facing the wrong way? surely it would not have been wired with the terminal screw facing the thermostat and thus inaccessible?
20231012_113926-jpg.320319

This thing is difficult to access as it is on top of the cylinder in a kitchen cupboard, but was going to try wiring this up when I noticed the terminal.
Is that something that might have been done on purpose to deter use? Or should I just move it to the other side for easier access with screwdriver?
Any reasons to avoid doing this?
20231012_114045b.jpg

I tested between the 2 element pins and it measure's 19.0 ohms. Is there a test I can do on the thermostat?Anything else need testing?

Sponsored Links
I cant see that it can be any other way, unless I'm being tricked by the perspective of the picture, does the solid 'tail' from the eleement to which the terminal is brazed not obstruct placing the wire clamp on the otherside?

Just disconnect the white lead from the stat and lift it out to get to the terminal

I cant see that it can be any other way, unless I'm being tricked by the perspective of the picture, does the solid 'tail' from the eleement to which the terminal is brazed not obstruct placing the wire clamp on the otherside?

Just disconnect the white lead from the stat and lift it out to get to the terminal
I don't know if the "solid tail" would get in the way, I think it might which is why I initially thought the terminal might spin around, but it is solid.
I think the thermostat is fixed in place somehow so not sure it will easily move out of the way.

I don't know if the "solid tail" would get in the way, I think it might which is why I initially thought the terminal might spin around, but it is solid.
I think the thermostat is fixed in place somehow so not sure it will easily move out of the way.

They are not fixed, just undo the terminal screw, for the white link wire, and it will pull up and out. Connect your neutral, earth, install the stat, reconnect the white, and finally your live.

I'm not sure that stat is usable under current regs, they need to include an over temperature trip, and I don't see one on that stat.

Sponsored Links
I think the thermostat is fixed in place somehow
The thermostat should just lift out. if not, then the whole element assembly will need to be replaced.

I tested between the 2 element pins and it measure's 19.0 ohms. Is there a test I can do on the thermostat?Anything else need testing?
19 ohms is normal for a 3kW element.
The thermostat is just a switch so it's continuity between the two terminals when heat required, nothing when it's at temperature.

However that thermostat is NOT suitable for use, as it's an ancient BS3456 effort from several decades ago which has no secondary thermal cutout.
New thermostat required, probably an 18" such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/dual-safety-thermostat-18-/89445

Stat should pull up and out, once the cable is taken out its terminal.
Does that stat have an overheat cut out ??

Thanks all, I didn't realise thermostat would have a long probe attached like that. I will see it I can get it out and find suitable replacement.
I assume the probe is inside an air/water tight sleeve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back