wish to wire up existing outside light via a pir

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, my sister in law has a security light on the end of her garage which is driving her neighbours mad at night, i have disconnected it for her and it is no longer operational, however she does still require a light when she walks in at night to activate, here is what i propose to do she has a small enclosed porch area that is recessed to the house therefore it is outside no more that 3ft in and then the door is there, she has a round ceiling light on the ouside of the house that is fixed to the exterior ceiling pqart of the house, and is operated by a light switch on the inside of the house near the front door,

now here is what i would like to do, install a small white pir sensor from the live feed of the switch to the pir , then the pir goes to the light, would this principle work, any feed back would be greatly appreciated

regards Dave :oops:

Sponsored Links
yes it will have a live supply when the switch in the hall is made i will take a live from the terminal block up near the light itself and also a neutral from somewhere else and a earth, is there any reason then that it will not work, i accept that when the switch in the hall is in the off position it will not work as the live is disconnected, but that is exactly how i want it to work regards dave

Sponsored Links
there are motion sensors on the market that dont require a neutral but only ever seen internal versions to be honest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back