Woke act comes in to force in Scotland

Sponsored Links
I wonder why motorbiking chose to start a thread suggesting that opinions on trans matters are an aspect of anti-racism.

I wonder why JohnD doesn’t understand… again.

Read section 9.

Sponsored Links
Scottish police say JK Rowling will not be prosecuted for saying men are "men."
She could have got seven years if charged and convicted, about what you got for murder not that log ago. For stating a physiological fact. Yes it will polarise the haters but a truly orwellian law. No problem with other bits.

I see no reason to suppose that the law described the prejudices in your "mind."

I don't think it's an exaggeration to assert this sort of legislation is the thin edge of a much more concerning wedge in terms of being able to speak freely.

And who defines what a 'reasonable' person is???

You could be in a public space having a discussion with mates and say 'tbh I can't stand x people' with x being whoever is being discussed. There could be a 'reasonable' person within earshot who thinks 'MMmmm, that comment wasn't reasonable and could stir up hate' so they call the police?!?

Fine, 9/10 no action might be taken, however the whole ethos behind this legislation is dangerous.

And PLEASE, don't anyone say 'but if you stay within the rules you have nothing to fear' that is one of thee scariest stances to take for a whole lot of reasons!

It also references the right to freedom of expression in Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which includes protection for "ideas that offend, shock or disturb".

MMmmm, how did that work out for the theatre a couple of years back that had to close a show because it offended a certain group of 'peaceful' people who threatened theatre staff.

The whole thing is loaded with double standards.

As the law in England and Wales already cover the same areas to me it's a rehash intended to look different but in terms of applying it unlikely to actually be different. Trying to prove this is interesting

The bar for this offence remains lower than for the other protected characteristics, as it also includes "insulting" behaviour, and as the prosecution need only prove that stirring up hatred was "likely" rather than "intended".

Likely to have committed a crime is an "interesting" concept.

Sponsored Links
Back