Wood rot on outdoor window frame advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently found a large patch of wet rot on one of our outdoor frames, which has been looked at and we've been told the whole frame probably needs replacing because of where it is... so that's fine.

We also found some smaller patches on our other window frames, of soft, flaky wood. These patches arent wet like the large one. I'm not sure if its dry rot or just old damaged wood.

I've been looking at fixing it up myself, but not 100% sure what to use. I've looked at the ronseal wet rot hardener but seeing as these patches are not wet I don't know if it would still be effective.

At the minute we just want to patch up the window frames to hopefully get another year or so out of them and maybe convert to upvc down the line.

I knowi have to remove the damaged wood and replace with wood filler top but any detailed advice would be appreciated, if need be I'll consider having someone come do it for me :)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I need to do the same thing with mine and there are some useful videos online. Looks like you just need to cut the wood past any rot, into good wood, and replace with new wood and filler, sand, prime and paint.

Yes, cut out the punky wood, but before scarfing in a new piece treat the affected area with a decent wood hardener

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back