Wooden bar on roof tiles above fascia board??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a problem with my roof. The tiles on the right hand side need replacing, and I had a roofer round yesterday who said this wooden bar I have running along the edge of the roof tiles doesn't need to be there as my attached neighbour doesn't have it on her side, although the building next door does on one side and not the other too. I don't know what it is called or what it does, but it is similar to the one below. You can see the fascia board on the right hand side edge and the white wooden panel going over the tiles. What is the panel called that goes over the tiles and what does it do? Is it just to protect from wind?
FASCIA-OVER-ROOF.jpg

Sponsored Links
You do need it, it prevents the tiles lifting in high winds.

If you wish to remove it then some modifications to the verge will be needed.

Are you sure this guy is a roofer?

Eeew what an eyesore.

The tiles can be clipped if they need to be held down

You do need it, it prevents the tiles lifting in high winds.

If you wish to remove it then some modifications to the verge will be needed.

Are you sure this guy is a roofer?
I had wondered why he suggested to get rid of it, especially as I have it on the back of my house with no issues. I don't think I have confidence in that guy. I have another guy coming to give a quote today, I'll see what he says. Does anyone know a reputable roofer in the Ipswich area in the UK? (Suffolk, Essex)

Sponsored Links
Its known as a "capping board" fixed for high winds, as explained above, and to cover the raw edge of the verge.

The capping board in the pic is PVC FWIW.

Why dont you post a pic of your capping board?

That capping is the abortion they fit to make up the difference when a house is externally clad and then rendered over.
when you take it off you will find a perfectly finished verge about 4" in, it is nothing to do with holding down the tiles.
You can see from the window reveal that the house has been externally insulated
Fixing it with double romans isn't going to be very straight forward. you may be better off taking off a few files of tiles, cutting back the insulation, creating a soffit and fascia, under cloaking and fitting another tile.
I have seen plastic dry verge caps but never in modern days seen a one piece wooden verge cap on anything but a wooden shingle roof.

Last edited:
That capping is the abortion they fit to make up the difference when a house is externally clad and then rendered over.
when you take it off you will find a perfectly finished verge about 4" in, it is nothing to do with holding down the tiles.
Fixing it with double romans isn't going to be very straight forward. you may be better off taking off a few files of tiles, cutting back the insulation, creating a soffit and fascia, under cloaking and fitting another tile.
I have seen plastic dry verge caps but never in modern days seen a one piece wooden verge cap on anything but a wooden shingle roof.
I wish my house was externally insulated!! No such luck, I just freeze to death inside these solid walls instead. Woody is right, that isntmy house. I have a cottage from 1840 with slate tile roof. The cap I have is wooden on a wooden fascia board. Uploading a picture of my actual house would have been sensible, but I was at work and didnt have a picture. I'll try and get one up tomorrow. Thanks for your help guys, I do appreciate it.

Its got everything to do with holding down the verge, usually on Victorian slate verges or Edwardian clay tile verges (altho the practice is much older).
Perhaps it was a regional thing - however iv'e dealt with them, and frequently seen them in the older housing stock on large suburban semi's.

Typically, with one or two other advantages, thats why capping was installed, and thats what it was installed on.
Its modern resurrection is merely an adoption.
Until the wood rots or fixings fail they work remarkably well.

I've also seen them on the exposed roofs of hillside farm houses and sea side properties.

There will not be a perfectly formed verge under the timber, it will ba a rough cut verge, cut up to the barge board which will be fixed level with the top of the tiles.

Very popular on old slate roofs and tiled when the roof finishes with an incomplete tile, usually less that half.

Edit: ree beat me to it.

terrypin,

What you say is true but if the barge board was below, and not level with, the slate or tile then a packing length was pinned to the barge board, rather like a drip piece, to pull the "barge board" out and give a fixing for the capping.

terrypin,

What you say is true but if the barge board was below, and not level with, the slate or tile then a packing length was pinned to the barge board, rather like a drip piece, to pull the "barge board" out and give a fixing for the capping.

What I meant was the tiles are cut level with the gable end, the barge board is fixed level with the top of the tiles so the capping nails on top of the barge board and sits on top of the tiles.

This type of roof finishing was very popular on slate roofs in and around Lancashire.

Tiled, as per op I haven't seen many in my area but worked on plenty around Grantham, Spalding and Kings Lynn.

Fair enough, only just realised that wasn't the OPs roof, must be a regional thing all roofs around these parts are under cloaked over barges with mucked verges.

Your roofer is right, it does not need to be there. The only reason i can think someone would use these (i have no idea what they are called) is because they cannot run a verge properly and trying to cover up a mess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back