Wooden Wedding Rings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Friends would like wooden wedding rings, but I've very little idea about how to do it. Any tips? E.g. what wood would be appropriate? What finish would you put on? and, how would you actually make them?

Sponsored Links
I doubt they would last all that long, risk of crushing them and you would really need to take them off when washing.

One of the exotic hardwoods would be the most durable but still easily damaged.

You can buy specific turning tools for captive ring work, thay would make it easy or just a fine scraper and skew will get you most of the way.

Jason

hey, be very careful selecting wood especially if they are allergic to anything. Some woods provoke a strong reaction just when sanding/ turning them but if it was in constant contact with your skin i would say a large proportion of woods would bring out some sort of reaction. Also any finish you use will probably need decent research to check for its effect.

Definate no no's are oak, walnut, teak, iroko!!( i know a few wood workers put in hospital by this one), wenge and i'm sure some others.

Possibility would be beech which ain't that attractive but is very inert, used in kids toys etc.

As for making then i would turn them. Sorry to be a downer as its a great idea in principle but there are many possible health risks i would imagine.

Sponsored Links
I have had a go at carving a ring many years ago in beech (i think it was). Cut a circle out with a bandsaw, then clamped it and drilled a finger-sized hole in the middle... was carving a lattice work design when it split along an 'invisible' grain line - very difficult

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back