Woops, I'm behind the times.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aparently we now have to lag 32mm and upwards condensate pipework.

It's snuck in to MI's during the last 6 months while I wasn't reading them through familiarity.........

Oh well if we have to lag anyway we may aswell just use 3/4 all the way then.

When will they get a life the idiots who sit in offices thinking up more work for us?

Sponsored Links
Paul Barker said:
Aparently we now have to lag 32mm and upwards condensate pipework.

It's snuck in to MI's during the last 6 months while I wasn't reading them through familiarity.........

Oh well if we have to lag anyway we may aswell just use 3/4 all the way then.

When will they get a life the idiots who sit in offices thinking up more work for us?

shurrup moaning paul the shiny ar**e's have to justify there job's and salaries somehow :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Well I picked it up on an Alpha training day today as I'm now the local Alpha service guy. It is in Alpha literature, and the guy assured me all manufacturers are doing it.

I have to be honest we don't read instructions to a boiler we've been fitting all year, after the first few you do it in your sleep.

One of the otyher guys on the course from Stoke wherever that may be (had a funny accent) had been pulled up on it by the dogs.

Like I say, if that's the case might aswell stick to 3/4.

Sponsored Links
Your having a girafffe

WTF do we have to do that for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do we also have to insulate all this sinks we have plumbed in?

I effing hate this business, goal posts move more than a phillopino prossie

Apparantly it`s manufacturers covering their backsides in case the installer runs the condense into a soil stack and has the water trap on the outside of the building. 3 inch of water just sat there asking for trouble.

Who puts the trap on the outside?

Exactly nobody with any sense but these people Have they got any sense?????????

All because the manufacturers are too tight to put a float switch on the boiler condensate trap.

The guy did recount a few instances where installers have put the outlet into the side of a rainwater downpipe, and in heavy rain it's come piling out the top of the boiler.

Customer and installer are saying your boiler is leaking all over my floor.

An air break outside the building would fix that as would an air break before any external trap.

The 75mm trap is actually required to protect you from products of combustion, but many manufgacturers build 75mm into the boiler for that protection and no further trap is required if not going into a soil stack. I propose that even if the manufacturer's trap is not a full 75mm an external air break not within 300mm of an openable window would do no harm.

What offends me about all this is that if this were an electrical scenario electricians would be credited for enough intelligence to meet some very vague regulations in whatever way they find fit.

For us it's "Yahole You Vill now lag ALL your external condensate drains"!

I seldome go into a soil stack, and favour the soakaway most of the time. I have a heavy breaker anyway, and you always need sand and cement on the van for bricking up the old square flue hole.

Anyway I'd be delighted if enough work came in servicing and repairing to knock installing on the head all together.

Maybe I should travel to a large town every day to do my days work and travel home at night. In Scarborough you have to do a whole variety to be able to afford memeberships insurances vans tools test equipment callibration. I'm just working to support a huge growth industry of people sat on fat rears inventing obstacles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back