Work experience for school children - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Yesterday my twins who are in year 11 in school, came home from school with letters informing them that parents need to organize one week's work experience for them during summer next year.
However, I haven't a clue on how to go about doing this! Is it just a matter of asking my children what subjects they enjoy then contact local employers who deal with that type of work or can you advice a more better method of going about organising the work experience?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
One week's worth of work experience is hardly worth considering.

You could try an advert in your local paper once their interests have been identified.

When you do identify a suitable employer, see if you can arrange for your children to submit a CV and attend an interview. It's all good practice.

We have had 2 in the past.

Both of the school leavers wanted to enter the construction industry.

we have had several requests but we stopped doing it as it got very complicated from our point of view any way .

Sponsored Links
I think what the school means is 'can you offer your children work experience, or do you know someone who can'.
Certainly in my school there was a person allocated to do this - to expect you to do that for them is just ridiculous....the local firms will be sick to death of such requests.
Not to mention the H & S aspects!
John :)

Surprised the school did not include some advice with the letter.

Have a look here

Certainly in the mainstream construction industry you wouldn't find it easy to have anyone on site who is below 16 years of age (insurance being just one of the problems) and they wouldn't be able to use power tools, either (minimum age 18). On larger sites where CSCS cards are mandatory I'm not sure that they could be allowed on in any case unless they had taken and passed the appropriate test.

Sorry if that isn't positive but it's meant to be honest

About sums it up really u have to be 18 to use a drill / power tool , but can join the armed services & use a fire arm at 17 ?????

this country is drowning under the weight of pencil pushers , paper shufflers & jobs worth's.

I used to have the work experience schoolies regularly until it got silly. A man with a clipboard started coming round asking things like
Where is the canteen?
In the van where it's always been.

Where are the toilet facilities?
The same tree we use mate.

Have you done a risk assessment?
A what!

Where are the students' PPE items kept?
Can you spell PPE for me please?

I stated taking them because a teacher/client of mine asked me. Then another high school asked me and I said ok. It's a shame it had to stop because these kids did get a taste of what it can be like at work, even if they were next to useless.

One of the benefits of work experience is so the kids can see how adults interact when they are working together, so there's a bit of psychology there.....
it works particularly well on the barrack room lawyers when they are taken down a peg or two.
John :)

About sums it up really u have to be 18 to use a drill / power tool , but can join the armed services & use a fire arm at 17 ?????

this country is drowning under the weight of pencil pushers , paper shufflers & jobs worth's.

16 actually but can't do front line duties until they are 18.

Sponsored Links
Back