Work experience for school children

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

My 15 year old son (who is in year 11 at school) needs to complete 1 week of work experience, as requested by his school. If we contact employers by letter requesting for a placement, do you think I should write a letter on my son's behalf requesting for a work placement (and give my contact details etc), or shall I ask my son to write the letter (and give his contact details), considering he is only 15 years old?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sponsored Links
I think you should write giving your contact details.

After all, you are responsible for him and wouldn't want him going anywhere without your knowledge.

Even more so, if it were a daughter.

Your son could write a letter explaining why he would like to have work experience at the company but not include contact details. You then wite a covering letter giving your contact details and send the twoo letters together to the company. Explaining why he would choose that company will show he knows a bit about the company and is not just applying ad hoc. Almost certianly it will increase his chance of being picked if there is competition for placements with the company.

We get letters from kids, obviously proof read by their parents, I would be inclined to ring potential company's first though, to check they run legitimate work experience schemes.

Sponsored Links
I find it very hard to believe that the school is of little help here.....they should have dozens of firms on their books.
After all, this happens every year!
You have discussed this before......do you have any colleagues who could take your son on?
John :)

I find it very hard to believe that the school is of little help here.....they should have dozens of firms on their books.
After all, this happens every year!
John :)

True, but mine was bloody useless. They sent the majority of kids to supermarkets and the like to stack shelves - very inspiring! I was lucky enough to have a friend whose father owned a printing firm and I got a place there helping design (I use that description loosely!) business cards, letterheads, etc.

I loved it so much I took a painting and decorating apprenticeship...just so I could order my business cards from them. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, though, writing to companies yourself could help you get an opportunity in a field that you are actually interested in.
As others have said, I'd allow the child to make the effort of writing the letter, helping out as necessary, and use the parents contact details.

EDIT
Just want to make it clear that I don't disrespect supermarket workers, but it's not exactly helpful to send kids trying to decide on their career paths to stack shelves. Phew, hope I get away with that!! :sneaky:

One of my daughters did a fortnight with the local newspaper. Highlight was going to the magistrates court with a reporter to report on a couple of trials. Worst was checking the sports results. Be creative and look for companies other than those on the school's list.

Just want to make it clear that I don't disrespect supermarket workers, but it's not exactly helpful to send kids trying to decide on their career paths to stack shelves. Phew, hope I get away with that!! :sneaky:
No. You snob. :)

I thought I might get accused of something modern when I said "Even more so, if it were a daughter".

A week is not long enough to get the hang of much of a job or to learn much about the world of work.

Depending where you live, there may be seasonal work for unskilled people and your offspring could get a holiday job. In my case I had work as a builder's lad, and in a large hotel, and got re-employed during each holiday for several years. The more you pick up the more valuable you are, and you may be encouraged to help out on a range of jobs. Working in a world of adults helps a youngster to grow up, so does earning a wage. I think it took me less than half a day to learn how to lay floorboards and the same to learn how to glaze straightforward windows. I had a mate who worked in site stores and turned it into a regular job.

In offices the work experience kid may end up making the tea. There's not so much post-sorting or filing these days. Girls often do a bit of light waitressing, especially around Christmas.

Having recruited people, I would take a youngster who wrote their own letter more seriously than one whose dad wrote it. Proofread it for spelling and grammar.

Sponsored Links
Back