Working with SWA cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just found these forums, and wouldn't mind settling in here!

I have the job of providing power to a patio a shed and a garge and i shall be working with SWA cable (4mm) The cable needs to be T'd off in 2 places and I've decided to use resin joint kits.

Anyone used resin jointkits before? How the hell to I use them! :rolleyes: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Me neither, but I'm sure they come with instructions, and from photos they look very obvious in how they work.

And very permanent and one-chance only, and probably messy.

Thought about using these?

PRABX03X.jpg

(http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Cable_Joints_1/index.html)

They look as though they require more familar skills, and in small sizes are cheaper than resin filled.

All the resin joints I've done (BICC, 3M, Henley etc) have all come with comprehensive instructions. It's not rocket science as long as you make good connections and they are well laid out. You will need a ratchet crimp tool for a start (the DIY compression ones from Halfords are not sufficient!). I always use amalgamating tape instead/or in addition to insulation tape and you should remember to always stagger the crimp joints. This is so that in the event of a problem they can never touch each other whatever happens. The kits for small cables (up to 16mm really) often come too large at the ends. In this case just wrap lots of amalgamating tape around the cables until the case fits snugly around it. Don't start mixing the two part resin until you are ready to pour it in and wash it off your hands quick if you manage to get it on them (it's hard to get off later).

thanx, the resin kits i got from TLC came without instructions! :confused: Oh well. Do you have any copys left lyng around that i could have a copy of?

Thanx all

Sponsored Links
You'd better make some noise in the direction of TLC then! I may have a copy but I'm in the process of moving so it's buried somewhere...

thanx spark. I have ordered some more amalgamating tape, and have fired off an email to TLC.

You've made this 15 year old happier. If i am welcome here than i will probably stay here!

Thanx all

you are more than welcome, but are you also saying you are only 15?

"You've made this 15 year old happier. If i am welcome here than i will probably stay here! "

yeah I'm only 15. I'm serious! Done alot of electrical work myself and will continue. might set up an electrical contracting company one day.

thanx for all your help

>Hi all, I have just found these forums, and wouldn't mind settling in >here!

>I have the job of providing power to a patio a shed and a garge and i >shall be working with SWA cable (4mm) The cable needs to be T'd off in >2 places and I've decided to use resin joint kits.

>Anyone used resin jointkits before? How the hell to I use them!

im 16, i started wiring plugs when i was three y/o and got seriosly into electrical work at about 10
dunno wtf interested me in the trade :confused: But glad im in it :D
Done 6 rewires countless other stuff and alot of correcting cockups made by DIY'rs and recently some poor electricians...or they apparently said they were
AND I ALWAYS THAUGHT I WAS SPECIAL :mad:

[/quote]

I don't want to steel posts but just wanna say that I'm 24 (nearly 25) and I've just got into electrical work. I think it's great. I am in the process of re-wiring my home and I'm really enjoying it.

I have done the upstairs lighting so far. Considering that most of the house is still on rubber cable wiring with an old fuse board (mini box above door in hallway) with two fuses controlling one socket, I think I am doing well.

but I digress, back to the original post. :)

ChrisRogers & supersparks,

Good luck to both of you,as we're getting short of trademan's in the building trade.Too many young'un gone to uni I think :rolleyes:

Oh er Extrasolar,looks like the youngster's are taking over ;) :cry: :cry:

supersparks said:
>Hi all, I have just found these forums, and wouldn't mind settling in >here!

>I have the job of providing power to a patio a shed and a garge and i >shall be working with SWA cable (4mm) The cable needs to be T'd off in >2 places and I've decided to use resin joint kits.

>Anyone used resin jointkits before? How the hell to I use them!

im 16, i started wiring plugs when i was three y/o and got seriosly into electrical work at about 10
dunno wtf interested me in the trade :confused: But glad im in it :D
Done 6 rewires countless other stuff and alot of correcting cockups made by DIY'rs and recently some poor electricians...or they apparently said they were
AND I ALWAYS THAUGHT I WAS SPECIAL :mad:
[/quote]

OMG!!! wierd! same with me started wiring plugs when i was very young and it just moved on from there!

quite a bit, putting in new ring mains, changing sockets, about to install and outdoor power system to provide power for a hot tub, patio, a shed and a potential garage. Need to add 20 new sockets into my new room for my pc! So I'm using a dado trunking system. Thats all i can think off at the mo!

Done alot of networking too

ChrisRogers said:
quite a bit, putting in new ring mains, changing sockets, about to install and outdoor power system to provide power for a hot tub, patio, a shed and a potential garage. Need to add 20 new sockets into my new room for my pc! So I'm using a dado trunking system. Thats all i can think off at the mo!

Done alot of networking too

never done networking, 20 sockets? lol what is ur room housing all the servers for the uk or something? ive done rewires, extra sockets, lights, all the usual stuff and insulation and rcd testing. how do you get your work? you get it from freinds and family?
and where abouts are you in the uk?
and the other thing i have noticed is that although young, no one has ever questioned my compitance, which i would have expected, and thanks masona, your comments rather strangely echo those i work for

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back