1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

SWA resin joints

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by DaftPunk, 15 Sep 2013.

1. DaftPunk

DaftPunk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've got a SWA cable to repair next week which has been severed by a digger. The cable is cleated to a wall outside. Is a resin joint kit ok to use on a cable which is not buried in the ground and exposed to UV etc?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'd read the instructions on the individual joint kit, but other than that I can't see it being a problem. I have witnessed it done myself, at 11kV.

4. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    How much of the cable is damaged ? If it is a clean cut you might find there is enough slack to pull the ends together and a single joint will suffice.

Other wise you may need rwo joints and a length of cable to replace the damaged section.

5. Lectrician

Lectrician

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I wouldn't be using a resin joint to joint a cable on a wall - It would be too much hassle for a start.

An adaptable box or too would be my choice - What size cable?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  7. ericmark

ericmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The shrink sleeve type look a lot neater when complete. But I have used Resin type without a problem.

8. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    IP rated adaptable boxes would be easier than resin filled joints and likely to look neater.

9. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. DaftPunk

DaftPunk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've not seen the job yet so I don't know how bad the damage is or what size cable, but it sounds like it'll be a small one. Maybe 6 mil 3 core or less.

The job is on a farm so looks are not really important but reliability is.

I've found joints with gewiss boxes etc and CW glands to be difficult to get properly waterproof, whereas resin joints are cheap and easy to use and proven to be reliable underground. I'm just not sure if they'll break down due to UV exposure.

12. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you really want to use a resin joint, but are concerned about the effects of UV exposure (and particularly given that appearance is not really an issue), you could always put the resin joint inside an enclosure to protect it from the UV.

Kind Regards, John

13. mfarrow

mfarrow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As far as I am aware, it already is, insomuch as the cheap plastic casing is there more as something to hold the resin in place whilst it's setting, rather than being a functional part of the finished joint.

14. Ahtyrrell

Ahtyrrell

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would use an adaptable box, the resin joints are not really made to be fixed to a wall and really will look terrible and be prone to damage.
    I suppose you could use two adaptable boxes and turn the cable so the glands entre from the bottom then use a piece of conduit between them rather then a silly piece of SWA

15. JohnW2

JohnW2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I would think that's true. However, the OP clearly has a concern, so I suggested a solution to address that concern!

I have to say that I would personally be very hesitant to use a resin-filled joint 'unnecessarily' above ground - after all, they are the ultimate in 'inaccessible joints', even when physically very accessible! In the OP's position, I would almost certainly use some of sort of adaptable box(es).

Kind Regards, John

16. DaftPunk

DaftPunk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the replies. Turned out it was only a 5 meter run of 4 mil 3 core, so I replaced the cable with out the need for a joint.

17. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local