Would leaving boiler on all day increase bill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a problem with boiler buzzing when heating is switched off. This only stops if I leave the heating on.
Turned all the rad valves down now its a bit warmer and switch off the boiler(ikon) when going to bed. Would this increase our bill?

I've heard that leaving it on is probably better as it doesn't have to fire up as often, or is this pie in the sky?

Sponsored Links
It's an ikon 40-50 boiler. Plumber been round and has suggested it's the programmer, the gas valve or a solenoid on the pcb. He said he couldn't source a new pcb for it. Was serviced last December and hadn't missed a beat. Recently had to replace a zone valve cos water was scalding all the time and the buzzing started literally when it was changed. Don't really have the money for new boiler or constant visits by plumber.

A "plumber" is probably not the best person to repair a boiler!
just as getting a Boilerman (me) to install a bathroom would be your worst nightmare!), it sounds like your plumber has not a clue regarding your boiler to the point he can't even source a part - oh and there are no solenoids on a PCB!!

Find a Proper gas Boiler Service Engineer not a plumber - two diffrent trades entirely!! ;)

Sponsored Links
As for leaving your boiler on all the time a lot really depends on how efficient your house is. And how efficient your system is. Many don't believe its a better idea to leave it on all the time.

Its always more to leave heating on all the time.

Basic physics but surprising how many cannot understand that.

Tony

I did ask the plumber/engineer if he is gas safe registered and he said he is. I didn't ask to see a certificate, perhaps I should have. Don't mean to offend any tradesmen, but there are tons of plumbers that also install and service boilers and are registered as gas safe engineers. I don't know if this guys trying to pull a fast one or the boiler is just genuinely knackered. Think it was fitted about 10 years ago. Don't know how long boilers generally live for. Will have to leave things as they are for time being and keep a watch on the bill. Thanks for the comments Everyone.

Its always more to leave heating on all the time.

Basic physics but surprising how many cannot understand that.

Tony

Please furnish me with the basic physics formula for that. Didn't do physics at school :)

Mind you if you are scared of big gas bills, by running it all night along, then may i suggest try and turning the boiler off at the mains spur, and sleep peacefully. No pun intended.

Boiler uses 2.7m3 of gas per hour.

Run it for an hour a day. Gas used 2.7m3

Run it for 10 hours a day. Gas used 27m3

got to addmy tuppence worth here, only because i am a great beleiver in long running times of boiler (if done right)

if you want to keep your house warm then then the boiler should be specked for the correct size of your house, then you should be able to keep your boiler on at a low rate for all day and keep the fabric and sapceial area of your house warm for cheaper than trying to heat it all again for the times you want.

in example i want to get from lands end to john o'groats i can do it at 50 mph yes it will take me longer but won't use as much fuel at a constant 50mph so it takes me say 12 hours,
but at 70 mph per hour i use on average 20% more fuel and save some time maybe 3 hours.

in essence a correctly sized boiler running for longer periods at lowere temperature's will save money as opposed to trying to reheat the house using higher temperatures in a shorter space of time.

long story cut short turn it down and keep it warm saves you cash!!!

Long story cut short. Disconnect wires from the thermostat so this missus can't turn it on. Costs you nothing. :D

My dad, in the olden days believed with, our diy fitted oil boiler and rads, said, "if you don't warm the bricks, then the house will never get warm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back