Would this be one earth connection too far?

I asked for help and an answer and I received sarcasm and a putdown. Possibly you do not know the answer,possibly you do but are reluctant share it as your stock answer is obviously - call an electrician -you know nothing.
Actually, the answer given to anyone who shows that they really don't understand the subject properly is to get in someone who does know. No offence intended, but you definitely do not understand some fundamental concepts which are not optional for you to be able to do electrical work safely.

I have no intention of calling in an electrician -never ever called one since moving in. Have virtually rewired my home, fitted several consumer units and just completed a completely new shower circuit installation without the aid of an electrician - just my pathetic diy books and advice from an ex work friend who is a spark - not bad for someone who knows nothing.
Apart from the list of questions B-A-S gave about how you designed and tested the work you did, have you notified this work to your local council ? I rather think you won't have - or you'd have ranted about the cost to DIYers - in which case you may like to know that you have committed at least one criminal offence, probably several.
Specifically you have done notifiable work which (I assume) has not been notified. The new shower circuit is notifiable, as is installing a CU, and this has been the case since 2005.

Given your lack of knowledge, it's almost certain that you have also failed to comply with Part P of the building regs which apply to everyone (DIYers as well as professionals).

But to your specific question, yes there should be a main bonding conductor from the water supply (normally within 600mm IIRC) of it entering the property to the MET (Main Earthing Terminal). I believe this should normally be 10mm2 in domestic environments, but it's possible it may need to be larger. If there are non-conductive (ie plastic) pipes and fittings in the system then it's possible that additional bonding may be required.

Sponsored Links
I took it to mean he'd installed several CU's in his own home for whatever reason...

I'm not sure you'd need several in 35 years. Two maybe? You would think in that replacing a CU you would notice the lack of MPB, or apparently not.
No these are additions to - not replacements. I meant adding other small C/U's, isolation encosures etc., to supplement main one.
Further explanation to follow when the dust and agro calmes down and settles.

shortest route to earth via my proposed new stopcock earth AND COMPLETELY BYPASS MY SHOWER C/U BREAKERS, or will it perhaps take both routes at the same time and TRIP the shower c/u breakers - and thus keep me alive :D

The fault currrent going to earth by what ever route will be coming from the Live incoming supply and will have to pass trough one ( or maybe more ) fuses or MCBs. If the fault current is high enough then the fuse will blow ( or the MCB will trip ) The more routes to earth the higher the current and so a faster blow on the fuse without the exposed metal work becoming high voltage.

If you have RCDs ( the things with test buttons ) then the fault current to earth needs only be about 30 mA for the RCD to trip as it measures the difference between the currents on Live and Neutral which in the absence of any faults will be equal.

You got sarcastic answers because you were yourself a bit sarcastic with the "give it some thought" comment.
Thanks for your calm sensible response. Appologies to those who thought i was being sarcastic - I was not. It was a light attempt at humour and i had no Idea that sparks were so seriious and do not suffer fools gladly. My response to Mr Angry shows that i to do not respond well to perceived sarcasm. I am an easy going old geordie with a sense of humour, but i can be very short and sharp when i feel it is required. Civility costs nothing and sarcasm and short putdowns only show a lack of being able to communicate in a normal manner contributing nothing to the debate.
Thank you.

... i had no Idea that sparks were so seriious and do not suffer fools gladly.
It's more a case of ... watch this forum, there are plenty of threads from people who give the impression of being unable to read, left all common sense behind at junior school, and have no idea (and no intention) of how to do something safely. Eg, there's a sticky on lighting circuits, but time and time again there are threads along the lines of "I took a fitting/rose off, didn't think it might be an idea to make a note of what wires went where before I started, no I've got a random collection of wires which do odd things when I connect them in random ways".

Other threads start off "I've been fiddling with electrics for years, I didn't know that there are now laws on notifiable work, and now I know I don't care and I'm doing it anyway" - does that sound familiar ?

Given this, I think you can see why you might have got some sharp responses.

Sponsored Links
You see the thing is that this :
I have no intention of calling in an electrician -never ever called one since moving in. Have virtually rewired my home, fitted several consumer units and just completed a completely new shower circuit installation without the aid of an electrician - just my pathetic diy books and advice from an ex work friend who is a spark
Is so terribly terribly wrong in attitude, thought and deed.

But in the spirit of not liking sarcasm and short put-downs, would you please go back to my list of questions and answer them?

That, BTW, is not a sarcastic question in itself, nor is my list sarcastic, or short, or a put-down.

It is a list of perfectly relevant important questions, some vitally so, which anybody who has carried out electrical installation work as extensive as you describe must be able to answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back