Wring a extact fan without a ceiling rose?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm in the process of wiring in my bathroom light and extract fan.

Whist I understand the necessary connections all the wiring diagrams show a ceiling rose.

I'm wiring into a 4 terminal junction box in the loft space. By the time Ive run the lighting circuit in and out, switch wire, power to the bathroom light and 3 core and earth to the fan isolator things are going to be pretty crowded in there.

Is there a specific junction box to do the job or should I use more than one box wired together?

Regards,

Jon

Sponsored Links
Google 'ashley j501' if the box will remain accessible or, if to be hidden (although not advisable) 'ashley j804'

You will be able to get all of the wiring into a standard or heavy duty 20A 4-terminal JB. It just takes a bit of care.

My tip: run the cable from the switch to the isolator switch and make the connection there. That reduces your cable count by one.

When doing this sort of thing from scratch I put in a deep (47mm) box for the fan isolator and run all the cables to there. It makes connections and access a snap(as they say in the colonies).

I was lucky when it came to doing mine. I did not want to put JB's in, because my loft was boarded. Luckily, the feed in and out for the lighting were long enough to reach the fan isolator position (outside, above the door in a stud wall).

I used a 47mm dry lining box and multi-way Wago's and brought all the cables into the deep box:

feed in
feed out
switch cable
two switched feeds out to fittings
cable to fan controller
cable to fan

A lot of conductors, but with a bit of care, a neat job can be achieved.

Effectively, the back box for the fan isolator doubles as a junction box, but it's accessible from the landing! No lifting boards in the loft.

Sponsored Links
You will be able to get all of the wiring into a standard or heavy duty 20A 4-terminal JB. It just takes a bit of care.
I find these little mini ratchet clamps useful

irwin_clamps_100mm.jpg

Completely remove the grub screws from the JB, lay the conductors in, and use clamps to hold them in place while you put the screws back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back