X Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lad wants an X Box for Xmas,

I have no idea about these things and need some guidance as there are a few different ones on the market.

Can anyone point me in the right direction :D

Sponsored Links
I take it he wants the 360?

I don't know if the newer ones are any better, but the disc drive on mine is ridiculously loud, so do him a favour and get him one with a nice big HDD so that he can transfer his games onto it. Other than that, there's not much difference between each 'type' of 360.

Is he planning on playing games with his mates online? If so I think the 250GB consoles come with built-in WiFi. Of course then he'll need an Xbox Live subscription, which will set you back even more £££!

Does he want a Kinect to go with it?

Edit: Looking around, it looks like all new 360s come with built-in WiFi. Of course there's an ethernet port if you already have ethernet connectivity where the console will be.

Edit: Looking around, it looks like all new 360s come with built-in WiFi. Of course there's an ethernet port if you already have ethernet connectivity where the console will be.

I have the 360 Elite with the built in WiFi and it's such poor kit that I use a 20m ethernet cable so that I can get a stable on-line connection.
Most people I know with the newer 360 have either paid for the "upgraded" WiFi Bridge or are using ethernet.

No doubt he will also want the Kinnect to go with the X-Box.

The best deals are to buy them together as a package

Sponsored Links
Not doing any of that online stuff etc. Just want a basic X box to play games with. :D

Not doing any of that online stuff etc. Just want a basic X box to play games with. :D

Then if he's not looking for online or Kinnect then best bet is to look for a 2nd gen 360 (white) 20 or 40GB version. You should be able to pick one up for around £120 mark with a couple of games (albeit ****e ones).
It's the price of the games that's crippling.

Its a waste of money IMO to get the Kinect at the moment, there are so few decent (well none) games for Kinect out its a waste. There's an absolutly mamouth backlog of brilliant games that can be had second hand or even new for well under a tenner that will keep him going for years.

The Kinect is not about getting you on-line!! :LOL:

It is the controller, there are some great games out there for it. It can profile you and even recognise one individual from another. In essence it see's the movements you make and replicates them in game play.

A great piece of kit - check if he wants one or not before deciding what to purchase!

Its a waste of money IMO to get the Kinect at the moment, there are so few decent (well none) games for Kinect out its a waste. There's an absolutly mamouth backlog of brilliant games that can be had second hand or even new for well under a tenner that will keep him going for years.

Absolutely agree on the back catalogue thing Freddy. However, if were it that simple with young-uns. It starts out that they're OK playing COD MW (the first one) but then they suddenly want MW3 at £50 a pop.
Assassins Creed Revelations has a "special Edition box set" that I saw in Tesco for £79.99!!! £80 for a fusking game!

Absolutely agree on the back catalogue thing Freddy. However, if were it that simple with young-uns. It starts out that they're OK playing COD MW (the first one) but then they suddenly want MW3 at £50 a pop.
Assassins Creed Revelations has a "special Edition box set" that I saw in Tesco for £79.99!!! £80 for a fusking game!
Well parents need to use the word no a bit more frankly. That said, I confess there are a few online games I've paid full price for that I've invested a good few hundred (if not more) hours into, personally I think given the pence/hour entertainment ratio they can be excellent value.

I have to say I'm not in the least suggesting Bahco is a technophobe, but that you may be blinding him with science if he is not familiar with the kit, and may need a more gentle introduction.

Spot on from SS.

Should I stick to the 360? :D

When bought as a complete package the 360 and Kinect offer good value, but get them seperately and it costs a lot more.

Ask your son what HE wants. He will know what is available and what he wants.

Dont assume that adults know more about technology when dealing with kids - it isn't the case!

Sponsored Links
Back