Yellow sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Had a look through the wiki but couldn't see anything of direct relevance, so...

Moved into a property about four months ago (first property I've owned) and the previous owners had a kitchen fitted about 18 months prior. I've removed one of the socket faces to have a look at the wiring behind it and I noticed that the plastic behind the socket face is yellow, rather than the usual black.

Is there some special reason for this?

If they were to be replaced, would they have to be replaced with sockets with a similar yellow backing?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Thanks,
TM

Sponsored Links
I don't think the colour matters, plastic cavity wall back boxes tend to have yellow/blue or red parts to them - the important thing is that for a 13A socket it should comply with BS1363 - it should say so on the rear of the socket.

Just make sure you isolate the supply and test that its dead before you start removing any cables to have a good look.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the colour matters, plastic cavity wall back boxes tend to have yellow/blue or red parts to them - the important thing is that for a 13A socket it should comply with BS1363 - it should say so on the rear of the socket.

Just make sure you isolate the supply and test that its dead before you start removing any cables to have a good look.
Nah, not the cavity box itself (sorry, my poor description), but the plastic behind the socket faceplate.

See pic below (of duly isolated circuit):

elec2.jpg

The other slightly worrying thing is that they haven't earthed the metal faceplate back to the cavity box. I've read that you can 'rely' on the screws to perform that job, but I was under the impression that good practice was to earth with a dedicated wire anyway (a 'pigtail'?).

Thanks for the quick replies so far.

That's not a cavity box and as it has at least one fixed lug there's no requirement to earth the backbox.

As you rightly stated though, it's good practice and something I've always done.

There is nothing special about the colour of plastic at the rear of the socket just make sure it complies with BS1363 - it should say so somewhere on the rear. You could replace such a socket with a similar complying but different coloured socket.

That's not a cavity box and as it has at least one fixed lug there's no requirement to earth the backbox.
Ah... 'metal housing' is perhaps the correct term?

'Cavity box' sounded better than 'metal boxy thingamijig'. :D
As you rightly stated though, it's good practice and something I've always done.
Thought as much. Thanks for confirming.
There is nothing special about the colour of plastic at the rear of the socket just make sure it complies with BS1363 - it should say so somewhere on the rear. You could replace such a socket with a similar complying but different coloured socket.
Cool. Thanks for the input. Really appreciated.

Wish I'd signed up earlier.

Pretty sure, Hamilton stuff uses same parts as GET accesories, just fancier fronts and costs more.

My god those things are dreadful. They look like a load of runner up plaques and horse brasses nailed to lumps of wood!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back