Yet Another Microbore Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The new microbore system I am putting in, fed from a Glow Worm 30 CXi combi, will supply the rads via 10mm speedfit pipes connected to manifolds.

As both upstairs and downstairs has traditional floorboards, I want to run the tails to the rad valves from the floorboard directly below each valve (as opposed to having the pipes coming out of the wall/skirting).

If I do this with the 10mm plastic pipe, it will look a bit rubbish having a length of thin plastic pipe coming up through the floor and going up to the valve.

Can I have angled 15mm valves, and run a short length of 15mm copper pipe from the valve downwards, to go through a hole in the floor, and join the 10mm plastic pipe under the floor? This will be neater, and make the rads look like normal rads on a 15mm circuit. :confused:

Will this work without affecting the performance of the rads?

Sponsored Links
Microbore in itself is a problem waiting to happen, so mixing and matching sizes is not going to make it worse.

Thanks for the quick reply. I know the pros and cons of microbore. I recently bought a small wreck of a 3 bed end terrace. I am now very short of cash and have no heating system. I will only be living here for 5 years max.

So, you are saying that having a few inches of 15mm copper pipe linking the rad valve to the 10mm plastic pipe under the floor will not cause any real problems?

Thanks for your help.

Ian

won't cause any problems. Do this quite often when fitting nice rads on microbore, for a better finish. Done one last week in fact.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Micky and Ben. You've set my mind at rest.

Alternatively, can you get 4 branch manifolds with 15mm outlets?

You don't need manifolds for 15 mm, you branch off from the main flow and return pipes as and when needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back