yorkshire water new boundary stop tap meter changes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
er!!!??? bit confused!??? got home today after a hard days graft to find an official letterheaded piece of paper in letterbox. Yorkshire Water without prior consent or notification have changed the meter outside the boundary of my abode (on't street!) with a new one. Well lets face it, It's not my primary responsibility, as its not on my property.... however! They informed me what the old meter read, re: my meter reading/consumption. However, upon further investigation I found that the hinged access lid for the old meter and boundary stop tap had been tarmaced o'er (ee bye eck!) Upon investigation questioning by phone (at a premium rate I may add) and after being passed onto thru 3 different operators I was told that the new meter didn't need an access/hinged cover to be read but would be read by scanner.
OK... fair enough I/WE (she who must be obeyed a.k.a the wife) pay for what we consume. But the issue is this......... (here we go)

What happens if I turn up at another Sheffield/Rotherham... ostensibly a property served by Yorkshire Water to carry out work for a customer. I cannot find service/isolation valves...(if they pre-existed) the property stop tap cannot be found... accessed... or has been laminated o'er :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: and I am out in the street trying to find/access the boundary stop tap to turn off the water...... and it has had a new meter installed and has been tarmaced o'er!!!? :eek:

So, I have to inform the customer that I have to locate their rising mains water at their stop tap in the house in order to fit a freezing jacket below the stop tap in order to carry out what would normally be a straightforward job! :mad:

Q? what if their stop tap in the house cannot be found, is inaccessible, notwithstanding that service/isolation valves are not fitted to the tap(s), tank, whatever!!! that I am attending to????

Yorkshire water informed me that should this be the case that they would endeavor to get an operative out within 2 hours to turn off the water in the street... Yeah!!! Whatever!!! like that is gonna happen!!! So if I quote over the phone for a simple job like fitting an outside tap... changing a float valve or even rewashering a tap... I have to wait for Yorks water to turn up n turn off the water in the street????

add me stuart plumber on facebook... sorry if this ****es off the admins but I am gobsmacked, bemused, amazed by this issue.

Sponsored Links
I was told that the new meter didn't need an access/hinged cover to be read but would be read by scanner.
I would be more worried by the fact that I now have no way of verifying if their reading was correct.

I wonder what OFWAT would say?

Sounds bizarre. I would say that a fair percentage of properties that I do work at end up having the water shut off by water co's stop tap. Going to make life difficult without this second line of defence.

If Yorks water aren't running out of water, they're tarmacing over people's stop taps. :rolleyes:

Also, don't use premium rate to phone Yorks water - plenty of alternatives.

http://www.saynoto0870.com/search.php

Sponsored Links
If i read you correctly, then no external stop-tap will be accessible, neither will the meter? How would anyone know if a stop-tap was present?

This somehow doesn't add up. There are too many variables that might contravene water regs. building regs. and OFWAT.

Further investigation by Yorks water consumers req'd.

Back