you cant live of wages

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
if the latest figures are right,you can't survive of minimum wages by £1 an hour and as we all know going to work cost money so why bother???

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you are claiming. Are you saying you get paid £1 an hour? Cannot be so.

As for why bother to work, well I go out to work and I'll be f*cked if I'm going to accept paying for you to sit on yer ass. So if you don't want to work I'd say getting £1 an hour to do nothing is 50p an hour too much.

I admire your sentement but you have got the wrong end of a not very clear stick, according to the facts on R4 the other day working for the minimum wage will give you a short fall of £1 an hour to meet the amount it takes to lve with the rise in the cost of living I was being devils advocate I am a self employed carpenter and work for a lot more than minimum wage

I don't think anyone actually lives on the minimum wage..... They just about manage to survive,,,, (barely) (and that's if they can walk to work, so no bus fares, don't smoke, drink, have a TV, internet, phone, and live in total darkness at night, with no heating on.
Try tellin't young'un's that these days,,, an they dunna believe ya. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Plenty of benefits available to those going out to work and not earning a lot of money. It's a tricky one, obviously people who go out to work should be supported far more by the taxpayer than those who cannot be arsed to work.

But the taxpayer doesn't have any cash either nowadays. Certainly I need all my money to prepare for retirement, I don't have any spare to give to people who cannot be bothered to go to work because it's "not worth it" for them. At the end of the day we are all going to have to learn to live on less, the good days are well and truly over, we have run out of other people's money.

I don't think anyone actually lives on the minimum wage..... They just about manage to survive,,,, (barely) (and that's if they can walk to work, so no bus fares, don't smoke, drink, have a TV, internet, phone, and live in total darkness at night, with no heating on.
Try tellin't young'un's that these days,,, an they dunna believe ya. ;) ;)
most people on minimum wage if they have kids get tax credits and housing benefits ect to boost their wage to a civilised level which isn't a bad thing in itself, the problem is that wages in real terms have been driven down by mass importation of cheap labour which means without state subsidies millions of people in this country just couldn't afford to work.

I prefer sitting on my arse, not working and claiming every benefit I can think of.

Tosser,, you don't have to have kids to claim tax credits. Plenty of people claim working tax credits and don't have children (me for instance) . What I can't for the life of me understand is, I pay tax on my measly income (at source through PAYE) Yet get working tax credit paid into my bank from HMRC. Wouldn't it be better for them to raise the tax threshold, so I didn't pay the tax in the first place??

What I can't for the life of me understand is, I pay tax on my measly income (at source through PAYE) Yet get working tax credit paid into my bank from HMRC. Wouldn't it be better for them to raise the tax threshold, so I didn't pay the tax in the first place??
That's just a selfish idea of yours john. By following this solution you would be placing jobsworth civil servants out of work. They have mortgages, children, cars etc too :mrgreen:

There should be no such thing as a working benefit. The employer should pay a living wage. It's crazy that employers pay peanuts and the government borrows billions every month to top up the lousy pay. It can't go on - and it won't go on.

There should be no such thing as a working benefit. The employer should pay a living wage. It's crazy that employers pay peanuts and the government borrows billions every month to top up the lousy pay. It can't go on - and it won't go on.

yes your right but situations like Ireland where 10% of mortgages are not getting paid, so someones going to have take a hair cut

I prefer sitting on my a**e, not working and claiming every benefit I can think of.

There are thousands like you. Which is why tens of thousands of ee's come here to work.
When you don't understand what language your next door neighbour is speaking don't start complaining.

. What I can't for the life of me understand is, I pay tax on my measly income (at source through PAYE) Yet get working tax credit paid into my bank from HMRC. Wouldn't it be better for them to raise the tax threshold, so I didn't pay the tax in the first place??

I think the idea labour had was twofold

1. more people employed in paper pushing jobs, people who will vote labour.

2. most people getting tax credits are a bit thick and don't spot what you point out, and go, hey labour are great for doing this.

Or maybe I am just too cynical :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back