young kids cycle to school alone..

I

imamartian

http://road.cc/content/news/19653-couple-face-trouble-letting-kids-cycle-school

parents are in trouble for letting an 8yr old girl and a 5yr old boy cycle to school without supervision.

a subject close to my heart with three young kids of my own...

this family is in London, and the kids have a mile and a half (approx) to travel, cycling on the pavement, with one big road to negotiate with the help of a lollipop lady.

Great for the kids' confdence, but are the parents right?

What i find odd is the Sunday Times printed the route the kids take.. so if John Venables or any other paedo wants to, they should buy the paper, and plot their attack!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I have a child in that age group. My own view is that children that age shouldn't be making their own way to school. An 8 year old should NOT be look after a 5 year old. How many people would go out and leave their 8 year old in charge of their 5 year old sibling?

i agree totally... i've only just started letting my 11 yr old look after my 8yr old.... on trips to the shop...

but 8 and 5 to me is sooo wrong..

When I was a kid we all went to school alone or with mates from 5 years. No need for a 4x4.

Sponsored Links
The same. Kids are at no more risk today than they ever were (apart from the roads).

When I was 5 yrs old, I used to walk over a mile to school. On my own, whatever the weather. Must admit, I'm surprised at this couple allowing them to cycle to school, at that age Specially in London, what with the volume of traffic.

When you think about it though,,,, Are kids in any more danger these days than we were when we were young? Or do we feel they are in more danger these days as the national press/ internet spreads news a lot faster and further?

i'd agree with you Joe... on the paedo thing... but the roads are so much more busy these days...

The road i used to live on was about 150 yards lond and we used to play on it without any cars on it at all.... these days, you struggle to park either side of the road..

so cycling on the pavement (which is probably illegal anyway) means exposed to so many huge vehicle thundering by.... and if the five year old loses control of their bike..... as they tend to do... can you rely on an 8yr old to react accordingly?

When I was 5 yrs old, I used to walk over a mile to school. On my own, whatever the weather. Must admit, I'm surprised at this couple allowing them to cycle to school, at that age Specially in London, what with the volume of traffic.

When you think about it though,,,, Are kids in any more danger these days than we were when we were young? Or do we feel they are in more danger these days as the national press/ internet spreads news a lot faster and further?

again if you're talking sexually, the danger hasn't changed... but if you're talking volumes of metal monsters thundering by, then yes, massively!

and if the five year old loses control of their bike..... as they tend to do... can you rely on an 8yr old to react accordingly?

When I was young and mates did anything really dangerous, like falling out of conker trees/ broke an arm or something similar) Our immediate reaction was to run away !!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) ;)

Martian I was meaning the apparent danger from paedo's/ strangers.

Always remember " Charlie Says """ ;) ;) ;) ;)

The same. Kids are at no more risk today than they ever were (apart from the roads).

i thought road deaths were falling?

probably because we always used to play on the roads... that was our playground.. these days, kids never play on the roads... they have PS3's and Xboxes... etc... why would they want to? so yeah, road death is probably down!

my thruppence worth

it depends on the children it depends on the route

all schools have designated safe routes from the local area where kids do not have to cross a main road unless theres a recognised safe crossing point

i personaly think we wrap our kids up to tight there is no more danger now from evel people than years ago
in a lot off respects london is safer than other places more people about and slower average speed on the roads

in general let our kids be kids and stop being paranoid ;)

Sponsored Links
Back