Pedants corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SaladFingers

Come, join myself, Bas and Bernard in the realms of pedantry.

Oh, for pedants sake, I should say, join Bas, Bernard and I!

In an attempt to have our own discussion of pure pedantry without the need to derail someone elses thread, I created this one, so that we can bask in the delight of ner ner ner ner ner :p and 'but yooooooou said this'..........

Sponsored Links
So, first up......

mains downlights, low voltage downlights?

:D

Come on chaps

x

In my experience those who make accusations of pedantry are nearly always people who are prone to carelessness, mistakes, errors and inaccuracies, coupled with laziness and a lack of interest in doing a good job. What they want is to make out that there is nothing wrong with being careless, mistaken, wrong, inaccurate, lazy and having a lack of interest in doing a good job, and that the fault actually lies with the people criticising them for their failings or pointing out their mistakes.

Sponsored Links
In my experience those who make accusations of pedantry are nearly always people who are prone to carelessness, mistakes, errors and inaccuracies, coupled with laziness and a lack of interest in doing a good job. What they want is to make out that there is nothing wrong with being careless, mistaken, wrong, inaccurate, lazy and having a lack of interest in doing a good job, and that the fault actually lies with the people criticising them for their failings or pointing out their mistakes.

And in my experience, it's the pedantic which say the above!

If we look through previous posts such as the LV ELV quote of my siggy, it were pure pedantry at its best, where my signature were dragged into topic, when it was not even the discussion of topic :LOL:

Good work bas, this is what the pedants corner is for, chap ;)

As I've said above, the reason for the wording..........because 230v IS lv, not 12v when people are asking for these lights.
Indeed it is, and there is nothing whatsoever wrong with saying that.

But there's a great deal wrong with saying LV is 230V.

What is a Boeing 747? It is an aeroplane.
blank65x10t.gif
blank65x10t.gif
v
What is an aeroplane? It is a Boeing 747.

A bus is public transport.
blank65x10t.gif
v
Public transport is a bus.

Oaks are trees.
blank43x10t.gif
v
Trees are oaks.

Pedantry at it's best.
No - it's your shabby, careless, laziness at its worst, and your pathetic attempts to wriggle out of it by making out that it's the people criticising you who are wrong.

Indeed, so it's pedantry.

I'm not wrong, 240v IS low voltage.

You're snapping and whipping over the arrangement of words, when it were unnecessary and was not the topic of discussion.

Which would you rather?

Would you prefer people to think that you are careless, lazy and pathetic, or that you are genuinely so thick that you can see no difference between "What is a Boeing 747? It is an aeroplane" and "What is an aeroplane? It is a Boeing 747"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back