Parking In A Disabled Bay.

If do not hold a blue badge, have you parked, do you or would you park in a disabled space?

• Yes.

• Sometimes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Do disabled users expect exclusive use of facilities, excluding everyone else?
I don't.
I am sure the amount of things disabled people are unable to use far outnumbers the things I cannot use because they are for disabled people.
So yeah, I think it's ok for facilities to be set up and aside for disabled folk.

Sponsored Links
Disabled people can easily obtain a key to fit disabled toilets by contacting Motability and showing proof they hold a 'Blue Badge'.
One of the main reasons for them being locked is to prevent the general, able bodied', public from using them and thereby possibly causing a disabled person to wait in a queue. Some disabilities prevent these people from being able to queue because of their medical condition.

The toilet thing is a bit flexible IMHO I had two hip replacements last year and although not holding a blue badge I had to use disabled toilets a few times, I heard a rather militant wheelchair bound actress on the radio saying only registered disabled should be allowed to use disabled toilets, with no give and take

Sponsored Links
Surely it depends on how many there are.

One of each is a bit different than six ordinary ones and one for disabled.

Were there only a single toilet in a small shop which has been fitted out to help disabled people then it is not really a "disabled toilet" (silly name) is it?

As far as disabled parking spaces go, the clue is in the name. You do not truly understand this until you have to care for someone who is disabled. Be grateful, thoughtful and considerate if you are not disabled.

I wouldn't park in a disabled space, but I happily use disabled toilets. Sometimes it's because the ordinary toilets are impossible to find, sometimes it's because the ordinary ones are very busy and no one is using the disabled. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't shove a disabled out of the way to beat him to the door, but I don't see the issue with normals using them. You don't hang around in toilets like you do in car parking spaces (well maybe JohnD does). :whistle:

What I don't really get is Blue Badge holders seemingly able to park on any double yellow they care to. Yet I'm lead to believe more able bodied persons may not because of various highways issues.

What I don't really get is Blue Badge holders seemingly able to park on any double yellow they care to. Yet I'm lead to believe more able bodied persons may not because of various highways issues.
I don't have a problem with it. If someone can't walk very far and the place they need to get to is by single or double yellows, they can park for 3 hours. And really, the odd car here and there is very different to everyone being able to park and block up roads. I really don't have a problem with making disabled people's life easier coz it's frustrating enough for them without.

And really, the odd car here and there is very different to everyone being able to park and block up roads.
The odd car here or there is not a problem as you say, down this neck of the woods and no doubt elsewhere, the entire road is full along the double yellow side with blue badge holders, not just a few cars randomly spaced around.

Fair enough. The council should so something if the cars are making the road dangerous for other car users or pedestrians.

In this area the Council Car Parks have allocated disabled parking the problem is one still has to pay to park in the space,
so it is easier and cheaper for a disabled driver to park on the road on Yellow Lines ( that is legal)

Disabled people can easily obtain a key to fit disabled toilets by contacting Motability and showing proof they hold a 'Blue Badge'.

It's not necessary to hold a Blue Badge to obtain the key. Macmillan and the other charities concerned with bladder and bowel conditions provide NKS/Radar keys to those that need them. People who may appear ambulant and non-disabled need the facilities which are provided - more space, a wall hook, a shelf etc for changing appliances, clothing, cleaning themselves and so on.

I don't, and won't, park in a disabled space, BUT, when I see some people with badges who to jump out of their car, carrying a walking stick over their arm as they hurry to the shop for a pack of fags or a lottery ticket, I sometimes do think, 'How disabled are they?', and understand why many able bodied people will proceed to park in them. As mentioned, though, when you have to care for a disabled person and can't find a spot, you do realise how important they are for many people.

Sponsored Links
Back