Parking In A Disabled Bay.

If do not hold a blue badge, have you parked, do you or would you park in a disabled space?

• Yes.

• Sometimes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Its a pity that they stopped displaying the photo of the recipient of the badge, you could often tell then if they were being abused.
As there is no law that requires a disabled space to be left empty unless used by a blue badge holder then they will continue to be abused, especially as they are often right next to the ATM.

Re the toilets..
I have a RADAR key, cost £2.25 on Amazon, no proof of disability required.
I got it because I campaigned for the toilets in my local park that were always locked unless someone was in the ice cream shop to be fitted with them so that local park users can obtain a key and unlock them. They are not exclusively for disabled users, just using the RADAR scheme to allow other users access yet keep them locked for some of the many reasons that they are.
Now everyone (apart from any druggies, yobs etc.) has access if they want\need it.

Baby changing facilities are also often in the disabled toilet, hence not exclusive - just fitted out to allow a disabled person to use them.
I see comments about "what if a disabled person comes along that needs the toilet" - well they can wait just like they would have to do if another disabled person was using it, if you need to go you need to go disabled or not.

Sponsored Links
Disabled people can easily obtain a key to fit disabled toilets by contacting Motability and showing proof they hold a 'Blue Badge'.

It's not necessary to hold a Blue Badge to obtain the key. Macmillan and the other charities concerned with bladder and bowel conditions provide NKS/Radar keys to those that need them. People who may appear ambulant and non-disabled need the facilities which are provided - more space, a wall hook, a shelf etc for changing appliances, clothing, cleaning themselves and so on.

Perfectly true Ceres. I was just trying to point out one of the many reasons they are locked but not go into a long winded post.
Thank you for pointing this out.

Its a pity that they stopped displaying the photo of the recipient of the badge, you could often tell then if they were being abused.
As there is no law that requires a disabled space to be left empty unless used by a blue badge holder then they will continue to be abused, especially as they are often right next to the ATM.

Re the toilets..
I have a RADAR key, cost £2.25 on Amazon, no proof of disability required.
I got it because I campaigned for the toilets in my local park that were always locked unless someone was in the ice cream shop to be fitted with them so that local park users can obtain a key and unlock them. They are not exclusively for disabled users, just using the RADAR scheme to allow other users access yet keep them locked for some of the many reasons that they are.
Now everyone (apart from any druggies, yobs etc.) has access if they want\need it.

Baby changing facilities are also often in the disabled toilet, hence not exclusive - just fitted out to allow a disabled person to use them.
I see comments about "what if a disabled person comes along that needs the toilet" - well they can wait just like they would have to do if another disabled person was using it, if you need to go you need to go disabled or not.

That's news to me Mattylad. Surely though if anyone can get them from Amazon then so can the druggies, yobs etc. Which will defeat the purpose of having them locked.

I notice that disabled drivers don't do any shopping after 6:00 PM, so there are 20 unused spaces right outside the front door at my Asda.

Sponsored Links
I regularly park in mother and child parking spaces, because motherhood is a lifestyle choice, and most mothers are able-bodied. My local Co op has loads of M and c spaces that are normally less than half used, but lack normal parking spaces. My mum never had special, reserved spaces when I was a sprog. If the Chelsea tractor driving mummies don't like it - feck 'em!

I always though parent & child spaces were designed to be wider to allow push chairs etc to be manoeuvred without banging into other vehicles, I give them a wide berth for that reason

so 80% of people are liars then.Never parked in a disabled space my arse.whilst on the topic......they need a space within 2metres of the front of door of somewhere..then wander round inside the store for hours. what's that about.

and if they have a blue badge. some seem to think they can park anywhere.some disabled want the whole world paving and ramping..others want to abseil down everest in a wheelchair...wtf is that all about...can abseil in a wheelchair but can't make it more than two yards from b and quality front door.

My limited understanding of the topic in America, is that the cops will do you big-time for 'violating' the disabled parking 'code'. I approve. Whe driving Miss Daisy (M-I-L), I would always drop her right at the door, then park. It irritated her, but made me feel better.

I always though parent & child spaces were designed to be wider to allow push chairs etc to be manoeuvred without banging into other vehicles, I give them a wide berth for that reason

Yes, slightly wider, but they are positioned second closest to the shop - disabled spaces being the closest. My local Co op's car park has limited spaces, but the number of mother and child spaces is out of proportion to the normal, unreserved ones.

Can't argue with the disabled spaces being closest. Have to admit I have used one occasionally in the past when unreserved spaces were all full, but plenty of disabled ones were empty. Wouldn't take one though, if there were only one or two disabled spaces left. Yes, I'm guilty - but please only shoot me down if you can prove beyond doubt that your whole life has been lived without sinning. :cautious:

and if they have a blue badge. some seem to think they can park anywhere.

Well they can't there are restrictions.

some disabled want the whole world paving and ramping.

No ramp no access, borrow a wheelchair for a day.

others want to abseil down everest in a wheelchair...wtf is that all about.

Did you make that up?

but can't make it more than two yards from b and quality front door.

Did the disabled person in the wheelchair choose where the parking space should be located?

A rather snotty woman once said to my wife, "You don't look disabled" My wife replied, "You don't look stupid but I guess looks can be deceptive."

They haven't. Mine has my photo on the back.

then wander round inside the store for hours. what's that about.

I struggle to walk but when I can "lean" on a trolley I can get about more easily.

My limited understanding of the topic in America, is that the cops will do you big-time for 'violating' the disabled parking 'code'. I approve.

$800 for parking in a disabled spot, another $800 if you have used a blue badge (placard) and the owner is not present. Fines vary I think depending on the state.

and if they have a blue badge. some seem to think they can park anywhere.

Well they can't there are restrictions.

One of the main ones being you cannot park where loading and unloading restrictions are in operation (yellow marks on kerb). Full booklet here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...443225/blue-badge-rights-responsibilities.PDF

All blue badges have the owners photo on them but the badge has to be displayed with the expiry date showing. If anyone in authority questions the validity of the user then the photo proves if it is being used honestly, (or not, if it turns out the registered holder is not being transported in the vehicle at that time).

Sponsored Links
Back