£ a thirty year low...FTSE 100 index soared past its all time high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Economics who knows ........However bye bye EU

Hip Hip !!!!! HOORAY !!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Yep we are out (well almost) :)

All the remainers should stop this constant whingeing & start dealing with the situation.

Hard brexit will be the order of the day , tell them dead beats & no hopers in Europe to stuff it IMHO

Kr**ts hogging deck chairs at holiday resorts will be coming to an end ;)

shop lifters & pick pockets from ******* ect will no longer be welcomed by social services

:)

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to Himaginn's opinion of the economic situation... After all, he pays £72.50 to cross the Dartford crossing in his car..

I'm looking forward to Himaginn's opinion of the economic situation... After all, he pays £72.50 to cross the Dartford crossing in his car..
I'm looking forward to when corgigrouch makes a comment without trolling.
I must be forever and always in your conscious thoughts, well when you have any, that is.

Sponsored Links
I'm looking forward to when corgigrouch makes a comment without trolling.
I must be forever and always in your conscious thoughts, well when you have any, that is.
Hardly, but whilst you and JohnD are still here I wont be helping in any of the other forums, so I may as well poke the fools like you, JD and Bolo.... Bolo seems to have gone back under his rock..

Here's an explanation as to why:
The explanation for the surge is pretty straightforward.

Big companies like GSK, Rio Tinto et al make most of their money in dollars but report their profits in pounds.

As the pound falls to its lowest level against the dollar for 31 years, those dollar profits are worth more in pound terms.

A goldilocks scenario for big multinationals headquartered and listed in the UK: FTSE 100 rockets.

Simple.

But also:
If you believe we are headed for a "hard brexit" (leaving the single market), and you believe that will hurt the UK economy (which even Philip Hammond seems to accept in the short term), then it is more likely that the Bank of England will cut interest rates again and hold them at near zero for longer.

That makes it even harder for investors to make any income at all.

In the old days, they would buy bonds or put money on deposit. Not any more.

If you need income, then dividends from shares in companies - of all sizes - are that much more attractive.

And also:
Finally I should make two things clear.

First, the UK economy is yet to show any ill effects from the Brexit vote.

Nevertheless, the chancellor thought it wise to brace us for the potential rollercoaster ahead.

Second, markets are very far from being infallible. They got the referendum result spectacularly wrong so we should be careful about what they seem to be telling us now.

Markets seem be joining the following dots. 1: The greater priority placed on immigration control (which has emerged from the Tory Party conference) will 2: make it harder for the UK to get access to the single market. That would 3: hurt the UK economy, prompting the Bank of England 4: to cut rates further and so 5: the pound falls.

Theresa May and her ministers do not accept the link between (1) and (2). We won't know who is right for at least two years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...56&link_location=live-reporting-correspondent

So in this case, rising shares are a sign of trouble ahead.

Hardly, but whilst you and JohnD are still here I wont be helping in any of the other forums, so I may as well poke the fools like you, JD and Bolo.... Bolo seems to have gone back under his rock..
A self-confessed troll.
You must lead a very sad life for it to be solely occupied by thoughts of trolling!
Speaks volumes for your psyche!

Sadly, for DIYnot and GD forum, Gas Stuff plumbers have a protected status to be offensive and continue trolling.

How's the pound today?

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...ond-wall-street-charm-offensive-business-live

"Sterling has hit $1.2634, lowest since 1985, as Philip Hammond flies to New York to reassure US banks about Brexit"

chart

Sponsored Links
Back