£orgi - lost bid to Capita for new gas safety scheme

HSE have now, since Tuesday evening, issued a set of FAQ's concerning the bid and the changeover, on their site.

I was at a meeting with the HSE yesterday about this and personally I do not feel there is any need to worry about Capita winning the bid. I feel it will be in the best interests for all of us.

Sponsored Links
The name Corgi and the badge belongs to the government corgi as we know them only own the corgi-trust name and business.
The word "corgi" and both the orange and blue logos are registered trademarks, owned by The Council for Registered Gas Installers, which is a private company.

They seem to have created a new company, Corgi Group Ltd, which has, since the beginning of the year, applied to register new trademarks for - wait for it -: Corgi Ventilation; Registered Gas Installer; RGI; Corgi Registered Gas Installer; RGI Registered Gas Installer; Gas Safe; and, "be carbon monoxide aware". They have also applied for trademarks for: Corgi Energy Efficiency; Corgi Plumbing; Corgi Electrical.

I have a feeling that they have done this as a precaution, in case they lost the franchise. They could then sell the trademarks to the new franchisee for a large sum of money. Reminds me a bit of BGs attempt to trademark Powerflush.

Sponsored Links
Ha!!! Typical.. So I've got to change my name to Capitagrouch.

As mentioned by someone else, we have been trying to hammer home to the general public the importance of having a CORGI registered engineer to work on their gas, then in the interests of safety the muppets in charge decide to change it all to CAPITA.... This, on top of all the other things that a house holder has to deal with these days, leaves them wide open for cowboys to bamboozle the poor punter

Naah missus... the government has scrapped CORGI coz they wuz ripping folk off and getting rich... Now any one whos a plumber can do ya gas... Saves ya munny dun it?

The HSE have anice new logo lined up for you guys.

The sign will be something like £or $

Well, Londoncorgi is now Londoncapita and Ken Livingstone is now Boris Johnston.

The world moves on and you may see Colin Powell again in a new White House job soon!

Tony

Well, Londoncorgi is now Londoncapita and Ken Livingstone is now Boris Johnston.

The world moves on and you may see Colin Powell again in a new White House job soon!

Tony

The world might move on but it seems that folk are far to quick to throw out something that isn't perfect and start again at a huge cost rather than tweeking what they have and making it right... The public already know the name and most of them do trust CORGI. I wonder how long before we see NAPIT registered gas fitters, NICEIC registered gas fitters.. Not that it is a problem for me, but it will confuse the public... I still get asked by some of my customers if I work for the Gas Board.... Thinking about it, that's not a bad name for a business

Both NAPIT and NICEIC were originally interested in maintaining the register register of gas operatives but both withdrew leaving only CORGI and CAPITA.

The gossip is that CAPITA was the cheaper bid and thats why they are the prefered bidder.

Its probably speculation as to what "cheaper" means. Is that cheaper to the RGI or a larger backhander to the HSE in reverse fees/

The only relevance to the RGI is that Capita is likely to be the registrar next year. The fees might be about 10% cheaper!

Tony

I thought that requiring a "corgi" person was enshrined in law?

Where will this leave all us consumers?
Will we now NOT be able to use a registered Corgi gas engineer after April?

Anybody able to answer these questions about this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back