0-10V Dimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to fit some floor-mounted LED lights, with a (Collingwood) driver that is dimmable with a 0-10V signal. Is there some sort of adaptor I can use to control these lights from a standard dimmer switch?
Thanks for any help,
Richard

Sponsored Links
Hi!

I'm in bristol too.

See what I did with my 0-10v dimmers here... www.yourmissus.com/lighting

Basically a variable resistor with 10v across it and then use the wiper (middle connection) to provide the 0-10v output.

I made mine with blanking plates and variable resistors from maplin.

Dan

..oh and ignore all the DMX and computer stuff.

I can control my dimmers both ways, but the 0-10v I used is very applicable to you.

Hope this helps
Dan

Sponsored Links
I would be wary of any DIY mix of extra low voltage and low voltage. looking at Dan's set up it looks OK but I have also seem some horrors where the designed had never heard of optical isolators or any other separation method.
Most dimmer switches use a thyristor control which chops the wave form and although in theory you could transform and rectify and smooth the output I would expect spikes would cause problems and really the two do not mix.
I would guess the LED's are not dimmed as such but switched on and off very rapid did some experiments myself with 555 timer and different mark space ratios. And AC ripple may cause all sorts of unexpected results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back