12V Halogen Downlights outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I would appreciate a few pointers here.

I am planning to fit a row of 5 halogen downlights at the front of my house connected to a PIR sensor.

Do I need to fit IP44 or IP65 downlights ? A friend has told me I need neither and just to fit normal ones but I'm not so sure about this. They are quite well hidden under the soffits of the house and won't be battered by rain but surely they must need to have some kind of moisture resistance if they will be outdoors ?

Also, should I pick lights which have an individual tranny feeding each bulb or can I get one with 5 plug in sockets which can feed all 5 bulbs ?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Davie

Sponsored Links
Why use 12 volt ones? Use mains voltage and fit LED lamps. As these will be mainly decorative colour rendition and brightness wont really matter so LEDs are perfect. :D Oh, and its less to go wrong and LEDs use 2 watts per lamp.

Crafty said:
and brightness wont really matter

I have a feeling it might as he's using a PIR to control them.
Time for some CFL's? ;)

I'll be fitting 6 x 7watt CFL's at the front of my house but will be using IPX4 shower style downlights with a white bezzel.

1. He wont need a PIR with LEDs. He could leave them on all year round and only have about £2 on his lectric bill.

2. GU10 CFLs take about 4 mins to reach full brightness. Are you sure you want them on a PIR?

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
2. GU10 CFLs take about 4 mins to reach full brightness. Are you sure you want them on a PIR?

No, they'll be controlled by a dusk/dawn sensor with a timeclock thrown in to maintain more control eg on at dusk, off at 10pm.
An overide switch will also be fitted in the porch.

What is a CFL ? :confused:

I will be using them to illuminate a dark path on the approach to my house. I only want them coming on when someone approaches, not burning away 24hrs a day.

IP44 or IP65 ?

Or are there LED lights which would be as bright as a halogen ?

Ducati Rider said:
What is a CFL ? :confused:

I will be using them to illuminate a dark path on the approach to my house. I only want them coming on when someone approaches, not burning away 24hrs a day.

IP44 or IP65 ?

Or are there LED lights which would be as bright as a halogen ?

CFL - Compact Fluorescent Lamp

IP44 is good enough for outside under a soffit.

I doubt you'll find any LED light to match the output of a halogen lamp.

Cheers :D

Last question......if I buy them with an individual transformer per light, how do I wire these ? Can I put all 5 transformer wires back into 1 chocbox to supply the power ?

Or would I better going for 1 big transformer to feed all 5 lights ?

I would personally use 5 transformers with each one located by the fitting it controls.
240v would be looped to each transformer with the connection being made in a small 20A 4 terminal junction box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back