13 metre guttering run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder has installed a guttering run which is around 13 metres with one down pipe at the end. I am finding that water is flowing out of places and upon closer inspection, there is water sitting in parts of the gutter.

Is this run excessive or acceptable and should I do anything other than get the gradient sorted?

Sponsored Links
it's more about the roof area drained, but clearly you do have issues. normal bottom outlets don't actually have a very high capacity as the water rushes past and doesn't really fall down.
you can add a couple of outlets into a hopper to get better capacity, even if they're closeish together.

It's generally about 5m between outlets or change of direction ( ie slope at corners) for half round and 1m more for square flow.

Sitting water is not a problem, but overflowing is.

Sponsored Links
We had 1 gutter on a 9mtr run and the guy that did our roof said that wasn't enough and added another.

added another downpipe? And what did this connect to at the lower end?

I thought it may be helpful to post a picture of the guttering run. If the consensus view is to add another down pipe, I'm unsure on where I do this.

Whoops...
sorry, my comment on "unsure on where I do this" referred to where I put the downpipe in my situation. Missing the attachment upload is down to my incompetence!

lets try again.

Attachments

• guttering length.png
    guttering length.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 541
are there any drains at the back or maybe a bathroom gully in the middle of the run?

This is how it looks from the back. I could drop something down here but aesthetically, it wont be great but i am then probably creating another problem for this gutter as it may then start to overflow, etc.

Attachments

• back.png
    back.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 411
it's more about the roof area drained, but clearly you do have issues. normal bottom outlets don't actually have a very high capacity as the water rushes past and doesn't really fall down.
you can add a couple of outlets into a hopper to get better capacity, even if they're close ish together.
A very good idea. There used to be "highflow" outlets - Hunter range I think, but there's nothing similar now. Used to be funnel shaped. Probably worth a try;)

Change it to ogee guttering it will almost double
the capacity. And maybe use a string line as well.

The thing is, anything other than half-round or square flow can look crap on a normal house as it's too big.

You could put a downpipe in at that gable end going on to that roof at first floor level

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back