13 metre guttering run

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses guys.
I've been up their with a hose (to mimic rain) and learnt the following: one end of the guttering is sloping the wrong way (away from the outlet) and as soon as it reaches capacity, it flows over. This is exactly what I see from down below when it rains heavy. When I put my large spirit level under the brackets of their guttering run, I can see that it is sloping the wrong way!

To make matters worse, there is a run of the guttering further along which is also sloping in the wrong direction. I paid a builder to put this up!

With the above in mind, clearly the fall is an issue but I am inclined to replace it with deep flow guttering. Perhaps keep to the one down pipe and introduce another one if I then notice a further issue.

Does this sound sensible? And what do you recommend by way of deep flow guttering? I cam across this which would compliment the square guttering I've got on the lower level:
https://www.bes.co.uk/4-m-square-high-capacity-gutter-polypipe-white#product-details-tab

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
one follow up question please - which screws do people recommend for the fascia brackets?

I am dubious about the string line when the fall needs to be so minimal as I find it’s difficult to gauge with a spirit level I.e. the string can move with the slightest touch of the level. Similarly, when fitting the brackets, it can be easy to go slightly higher or lower than the line which again has the effect of a levelled or inclining gutter run between brackets. Ordinarily, this would be fine but I’m concerned with a minimal fall situation, this may be challenging. Can I get some of your wisdom on this please.

A taught line is the BEST thing to use when dealing with minimal falls. Why are you using a string line AND a level? Baffled.

Excuse my ignorance but I assumed this is what I am being advised to do:
143082-a45eed681671fad41528eaaeb8223095.jpg

Hence my earlier concerns.

Have I missed something?

Attachments

• line and level.jpeg
    line and level.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 273
You hardly need the level. Put the level on the bottom of the fascia board to establish that it's vaguely level, which it will be (surely).

Use a tape measure to mark a point at either end of the run, with one end 75mm higher than the other end, using the bottom of the fascia as your datum point.

No, this is not the case. The fascia board is not level and hence it can't be used as the datum point.
I want to get this right as the current guttering is all over the place and I don't want to repeat the same mistakes.

Fix the string straight and tight accross the full length then pull it down where you want your outlet and knock a nail in to hold it.

How do I gauge that the line is straight given my fascia board isn't straight?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back