2 Lights, double switch to 2 lights single switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 lights going to a double switched box.

I want to be able to turn both of them on, with just a single switch.

The new switch has L1, L2 and common.

I have 5 cables comming in, 2 sets of black and red, the blacks twisted together. the 5th cable is a seprate cable into the back box.

How do i wire it ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You can see that one of the red wires goes to two connections on your existing switch, via a jumper wire, you want to connect this wire to common on your new switch, you want to connect the other two red wires to L1 on the new switch. You can chuck the jumper wire in the bin.

Might be worth re-doing the connection between the two blacks, cut them back and use a terminal block in place of the 'screw-it'

If your new switch is metal make sure it is gets connected to earth

ok, ive just done what you said.

what is the red that comes in on its own?

Its a metal switch, but theres no earth cable!

Can i just use the jumper wire to screw into the back box?

NO NO NO.

If there is no earth you can't use a metal switch. You cannot link to the back box as it will cause it to go live.

samgoffe said:
what is the red that comes in on its own?
Switched live out to one of the lights, which was quite probably a later addition to the circuit

Its a metal switch, but theres no earth cable!
Thats a bad thing ™

Can i just use the jumper wire to screw into the back box?
No, for a start its totally the wrong colour, and more critically you can't pick up an earth from a backbox unless it has an earth itself, and if there are no earth cables there, then it won't be earthed unless its earthed through metal conduit (which I very much doubt is the case).

You have two options,

1) have your lighting circuit rewired
2) use plastic switches held on with nylon screws

Sorry to be the bringer of bad luck, but that is just the way it is

ok, so im going to have to use a plastic box.

Thanks for the help guys!!! will let you know what happens!

++++++++++++++++++++++

just to let you know,

just wired in a plastic switch and it works!!

Again, many thanks for the help.

sam

Surely he's OK with a plastic switch and metal screws because of the plastic lugs in the box?

Surely he's OK with a plastic switch and metal screws because of the plastic lugs in the box?

I hope this is ok, it does mean i cant touch the screws!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back