200 mph

;) Just for motorbiking I have mixed feelings about advanced driving courses. They mostly seem to relate to teararsing and what happens in the extremes relates to the roads and the car being driven. FI style cornering may be wonderful for instance but leave feint tire marks on the road when done perfectly - fine if the road is perfect but few are.

For motorbikes there are a few skills you'd cover on advanced that you wont cover for the L-test. But the direct access benefits are really that you've learned to ride and handle a powerful bike. A CB500 has way more in common with a 1000cc bike than a 125 has with a 500.

As well as a f*** load of attitude, advanced bike courses will cover:
- Riding Plans - thats key to safety. Looking at what's going on, coming up with a plan based on what you can and can't see and continuing the observation as you execute it. That will not just take account of the best line (which isn't the racing line) but surface, camber, people other road users etc.
- Overtaking - proper 2 and 3 stage overtakes that require way less speed and time exposed to danger if done right.
- Bike dynamics/cornering etc - counter steering, body position, why you probably don't want to brake and steer etc. Why an off-camber neutral radius, decline bend is really a decreasing radius bend etc.
- Handling - you will learn to ride big heavy bikes really slowly. This is how I learned to track stand a bicycle. I can sit at a red light for ages clipped in.

Then for the assessment, we want to see, effortless smooth progress through traffic. Not a lot of braking, because you've anticipated well in advance, not missing side roads, when overtaking, not getting stuck behind something because you can't see around it.

There is always the risk that you start thinking you are a riding god, due the "qualifications" you have. But few who really get it, ride like that. Most just apply the skills and end up riding smoother and faster with less speed.

Surely the above would be useful?

Sponsored Links
:) My first motorcycle after the direct access at 51 was

aprilia_moto.jpg

Followed by a 1200cc bandit.

How do you know what the cyclist was upto .."jolly..commuting ..whatever .Has equally as much right to be on a road as any vehicle...You want to tax pedestrians for crossing roads???

Not a bad idea tbh

Pedestrians are a nuisance on the road as well.

Horses should be banned off the road as well. Unless for ceremonial purposes ;)

Sponsored Links
I would ban horses under the bonnet, or at least no more than 50 under the same bonnet

For motorbikes there are a few skills you'd cover on advanced that you wont cover for the L-test. But the direct access benefits are really that you've learned to ride and handle a powerful bike. A CB500 has way more in common with a 1000cc bike than a 125 has with a 500.

As well as a f*** load of attitude, advanced bike courses will cover:
- Riding Plans - thats key to safety. Looking at what's going on, coming up with a plan based on what you can and can't see and continuing the observation as you execute it. That will not just take account of the best line (which isn't the racing line) but surface, camber, people other road users etc.
- Overtaking - proper 2 and 3 stage overtakes that require way less speed and time exposed to danger if done right.
- Bike dynamics/cornering etc - counter steering, body position, why you probably don't want to brake and steer etc. Why an off-camber neutral radius, decline bend is really a decreasing radius bend etc.
- Handling - you will learn to ride big heavy bikes really slowly. This is how I learned to track stand a bicycle. I can sit at a red light for ages clipped in.

Then for the assessment, we want to see, effortless smooth progress through traffic. Not a lot of braking, because you've anticipated well in advance, not missing side roads, when overtaking, not getting stuck behind something because you can't see around it.

There is always the risk that you start thinking you are a riding god, due the "qualifications" you have. But few who really get it, ride like that. Most just apply the skills and end up riding smoother and faster with less speed.

Surely the above would be useful?

Wouldn't disagree but that to me is mostly normal driving. My impression comes from talking to people have taken the course - car. Maybe I have only talked to ones who view themselves as god like beings and have taken the course for the wrong reasons. My view on cars tends to be more concerned with how they behave and have no wish to reach cornering limits for instance. They vary enormously.

Sounds like I may have been lucky with my direct access. One was army trained. The other police and 2 others. They covered all sorts in terms of riding safely. I asked the ex army man about it - he didn't think I would benefit from it. The policeman didn't like one thing I did on one ride - rode around a wet manhole cover trials style. He also reckoned that I may be a bit hesitant at times. The other 2 in that lot saw that in a different way when I explained why. When it comes to test if the examiner thinks some one is scared of the bike - they wont pass.

F1 corning - the technique can be used sometimes but throwing in critical slip braking on normal roads is for lunatics. While over and under steer are wonderful it's better to be able to detect the onset and be able to do something about it, even better never get there.

Last edited:
Car course is fairly pedestrian by comparison as there is less opportunity to demonstrate skill or screw up your demonstration of skill.

Not a bad idea tbh

Pedestrians are a nuisance on the road as well.

Horses should be banned off the road as well. Unless for ceremonial purposes ;)
Motorbikes should be banned..Noisy horrible things..

Car course is fairly pedestrian by comparison as there is less opportunity to demonstrate skill or screw up your demonstration of skill.

It is the car advanced drivers I was referring to. Conversations probably crop up from my driving style - they could do better if they tried as they know more. Best way of describing it is that I press on. Acceleration and cornering are there to be used - safely. Flat to the floor pulling away - no. maybe to overtake. I also have an unusual way of changing gear. Used to be very good for earlier diaphragm clutches but results in about 40km now. It amuses Americans when I drive them around - smoother than an automatic. I seldom use the brakes firmly so if I use a loan car while it's in for service it feels digital. This all surprise some and scares few if any.

My view now on high speed even on motorways is that max is set by other drivers who essentially wont realise how fast some one is approaching. 90 as some drive a bit quicker is ok if conditions are suitable and all sorts can interfere with that and on other roads as well. 30 and 40 limits, more or less stick to them better than many do around here and always do in villages.

Acceleration and cornering are there to be used - safely. Flat to the floor pulling away - no. maybe to overtake.
You sound typical of the selfish pig ignorant car drivers who do not give a FF about anyone else on the roads.

My view now on high speed even on motorways is that max is set by other drivers who essentially wont realise how fast some one is approaching. 90 as some drive a bit quicker is ok if conditions are suitable and all sorts can interfere with that and on other roads as well
Limit is 70mph...not whatever you decide

30 and 40 limits, more or less stick to them better than many do around here and always do in villages.
Should we be honoured you deem those limits are worthy of your consideration?

Perhaps the less said about that, the better.

You could be right but it's an interesting method originated by the police who found it had advantages other than extending clutch life. :( it decreases it's life now.

Durhamplumber - so far I haven't seen a sensible reasoned view off him on anything. The word obtuse springs to mind. Not sure why.

Sponsored Links
Back