Driving Habits.

in my town it has to be bus drivers who pull out 1st then indicate,
also the ar5eholes who thought it was a good idea to install the new bus stops that are built into the road,the idea is to speed up traffic????YEAH RIGHT all it does is stop everyone else whos stuck behind the bl00dy busses to sit and wait until they pull out.the congestion it causes it crazy.

Sponsored Links
People who use mirror-signal-manouvre and expect, as a right, for you (and all the people behind you) to slam on the brakes to let them do whatever they intended.

People who use mirror-signal-manouvre and expect, as a right, for you (and all the people behind you) to slam on the brakes to let them do whatever they intended.

errrr..... but isnt "mirror, signal, manouver" the way its supposed to be done?

Perhaps your driving too fast behind someone? lol

Sponsored Links
but isnt "mirror, signal, manouver" the way its supposed to be done?

It is, but it is an indication of your intentions, it is not a god given right to do as you indicate at the last minute. Signals, of any kind, should be given in plenty of time to alert other road users.

My pet hate is drivers who when joining the motorway, think that all they have to do is indicate right, then move into the inside lane, expecting everyone to accommodate them.
They make no attempt to adjust their speed to suit the traffic alread flowing, or slip into a suitable gap. :mad: :mad:

I have to say I cant understand why people get so worked up over such trivial things, it seems like they have a short fuse and probably explains why there is so much road rage around.

People who don't get out of the way when I come up really fast behind them on the motorway forcing me to flash my lights, sit 2 inches off the back of their car or undertake them [/sarcasm]

Lorries! :mad:

Not just any lorries. Lorries that overtake other lorries! :mad: :mad:

Not just any lorries overtaking other lorries. Lorries that think the best place to overtake other lorries is on steep hills! :evil: :evil: :evil:

You don't have to spend much time on a motorway to witness this phenomenon. The sign is clear enough; a little picture of a lorry trying to climb a hill that a landrover would find difficult. Fair enough. We need lorries - you want to eat don't you - and some hills just have to be climbed.

So why is there suddenly a huge tailback? Because a second lorry has chosen this precise spot to try and overtake the first one!!! The first lorry is struggling to make 30 mph up the hill - which is not his fault - and the second one is just about managing 31 mph. Result: Both lanes are blocked all the way to the top of the hill.

WHAT A PLONKER!!

there would be NO need for long distance lorries if they just made trains that took standard containers..
the containers filled at the distribution center, put on a train to somewhere local then put on the back of a local lorry to be taken to the local stores..

there would be NO need for long distance lorries if they just made trains that took standard containers..
the containers filled at the distribution center, put on a train to somewhere local then put on the back of a local lorry to be taken to the local stores..
Setting up a system like that would cost billions. The logistics would be a nightmare.

Take the Co-operative. They operate about 12 local distribution centres and a national DC in coventry. Stores transmit orders to the local and national on, say, a tuesday afternoon, for delivery thursday. This is a standard lead time of 2 days.

Now, the national centre starts picking the order tuesday evening and wednesday morning. By wednesday afternoon the order is complete and is on the lorry. By early thursday morning the order, as well as about 20 other stores orders have arrived at the local DC on a double decker lorry, on cages.

At the local DC, the national order joins the local order and both are loaded onto a smaller lorry on thursday morning for delivery to store. Normally 2 stores per lorry.

Now, you tell me, how would this be POSSIBLE using trains? For a start there is no format of trains that facilitate the use of rollcages. And the railways normally run nowhere near the DCs nowadays. This is why DCs are normally described as footloose, as they can locate wherever they want.

As well as the stock movements described above, theres the movements between depots of supplied stock, for example where a supplier can only deliver to one depot, but the item is required at all local depots. And how would the return of empty roll cages be done? Then theres disruptions on the lines - derailments etc. With such tight timings as above, delays are not an option.

Then theres chilled / frozen / perishable stock - where the timing is even more critical!

[/lecture] :LOL:

As an aside, I have a lot of respect for supermarket lorry drivers. Car drivers give them little respect, they are underpaid, their lorries are often old and falling apart. And when they get to stores, managers generally give them very little help in unloading. You do get the odd idiot (shouting at my custoemrs etc) but most are decent chaps.

Well done Steve, you managed to get a mention in there for the Coop.... again! :D

Sponsored Links
Back