200 mph

Sponsored Links
I once towed my fathers car home due to a clutch problem. Some one mentioned not using the clutch so tried it. Not much of a problem but throttle control has to be precise. What I didn't try was stopping, ;) engine off and starter motor to get moving again. Sounded like it could be rather expensive.

I have driven some "things" without syncro but this one totally defeated me, crunched every time

View attachment 194234
going back to the day - it was the wagons that were the easiest to drive without the clutch, Non Sync boxes (esp the constant mesh) along with lower engine speeds lend themselves to slipping in and out of gear just at that point between drive and over-run.
Synchronised car boxes work very differently to the old crash boxes and as such I don't thing it is easy or even possible for clutchless changes. It is very simple to go into neutral but to get back into a gear? I sort of think the synchromesh mechanism works against this?

It is very simple to go into neutral but to get back into a gear? I sort of think the synchromesh mechanism works against this?

From memory, I applied gentle pressure on the gearstick and suddenly drop the revs it popped out of gear, gently push against the next gear and again increase and drop revs and in she slips. Sometimes. Speed and revs were crucial, it wasn't a fast process.

I must admit, and it's probably something to do with lockdown, I find myself enjoying deciphering Johns posts, I suppose like some people enjoy their daily crossword puzzle.
Brig, just think of Johns posts as Sudoku, without the numbers.(y)

LOL Maybe you are a bit more literate.

Sponsored Links
From memory, I applied gentle pressure on the gearstick and suddenly drop the revs it popped out of gear, gently push against the next gear and again increase and drop revs and in she slips. Sometimes. Speed and revs were crucial, it wasn't a fast process.

I didn't make any direct use of neutral. It's more of a case of easing off the throttle so that it's easier to get out of the gear and then changing revs to suite the next gear and engaging smoothly. The easing off is coasting in gear really. Time to change gear - not a lot different to the usual way. Some one could drop into neutral and stay there between gears but I didn't.

;) It's similar to how I change gear with a clutch. Not a good idea on modern diesels as it seems to reduce clutch life. That could be down to Audi.

Back