20mm Grommets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these available in a lower profile than normal ones? eg thinner ones?

Sponsored Links
Some 16mm boxes are pre-fitted with a thinner grommet. Worth a try if you have one.

When you say thinner, do you mean the thickness of the walls or the outside diameter of the whole thing?
I use the above fast fit grommets daily, they are easier to fit, often fall out and do extend further into the hole than a std full grommet.

While we are talking about grommets, does anyone know of any good fitting tools for them?
I have to fit them around a 3 core cable then into a hole in a steel frame and sometimes this is extremely difficult, I have been looking for something better than the end of my screwdriver to assist with this.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried fitting grommet onto the hole then feeding the cable through the grommet, which, I believe, is the normal method of installation?

Have you tried fitting grommet onto the hole then feeding the cable through the grommet, which, I believe, is the normal method of installation?
whssign.gif

Remember, a grommet is not a gland. It is to protect the cable from chafing on the edges of the hole. It is not meant to form a seal around the cable, or to act as a restraint.

If you fit the grommet and then find that the cable won't pass through it easily, then the cable is too big, or the hole is too small.

KY Jelly is water miscible, if it doesn't suit the grommet I'm sure you can find other uses

I've only ever used it to draw cables in. What else could you use it for?

I have to fit them around a 3 core cable then into a hole in a steel frame and sometimes this is extremely difficult, I have been looking for something better than the end of my screwdriver to assist with this.
Got a picture?
We like pictures!

Here is the picture as requested.
grommet.png
(This is is a particularly rough (as a dogs arse) example of where they go, in this instance I used another leg (which made cable routing far harder) but it shows the path that the cable has to travel.)

30mm box section that has the cable run up its leg then has to go 90 degrees and out through a hole.
The hole can only be drilled using a 20mm holesaw, this tends to be a not so neat hole so I have to tidy it up with a rotary carbide cutter thingy.

Only once the cables have been routed can the grommet be fitted.
It's even worse when 2 cables have to go through the same hole, this is extremely difficult and cannot be done with the grommet already in situ.
I am looking for something like a 4mm flat screwdriver with rounded ends, and the tip to be bent 90 degrees like a minature garden ho.
I'll probably end up butchering an old screwdriver for this.

Cannot use lube, because A) they wouldn't buy it for me and B) some wonker would pinch it (like they do everything else). (it's that sort of place lol.)

Anyway, Canduit - did any of the above answers help? or can you explain a bit more on your problem?

Here is the picture as requested.Cannot use lube, because A) they wouldn't buy it for me and B) some wonker would pinch it (like they do everything else). (it's that sort of place lol.)
Get yerself some tallow. Nobody would pinch that it's disgusting but it gets the job done.

Might greatly upset anybody in the business who is Hindu, and/or lose likewise customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back