20MM PVC Conduit Saddles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Running some network cables on the outside of the house and going to be put in conduit.

My question is, when I buy the saddles how often should they be used?

one at both ends and in the middle of a 3M length?

Sponsored Links
I'd say not more than 1m apart, what is the construction of the building?
Plastic conduit can look plain awful on the outside of buildings, I think RFlighting has a pic somewhere of what can happen to it.

Cool thanks for that, I thought it would be roughly that much.

It's a normal brick construction, it's on my own home, and will be 1 brick up from the floor and only 4meteres across the front of the house, then down the side, so shouldn't look too grim, I hope!!

The OSG says that saddles for non-rigid conduit between 16&25mm dis should be no more than 0.4metres if horizontal and 0.6m if vertical.

Sponsored Links
What looks right is right. 600mm ish. Expansion couplers on long runs (two or three lengths)

If the house front is flat, why not use standard trunking, and paint it to match the house?

There's nothing worst than seeing conduit on a wall after 2 years which has snaked itself a wave because someone was too much of a tight-arse with cleats.

Try the manufacturer's if you want certainty; I'm sure someone will have published a guide somewhere. OSG is good but 400mm sounds a tad excessive.

Horizontal, I was taught 9" from each end and then every 2 feet, or what ever works out near 2 feet to keep the saddle spacings even.

There's nothing worst than seeing conduit on a wall after 2 years which has snaked itself a wave because someone was too much of a tight-a**e with cleats.

More to do with a lack of expansion couplers. Steel conduit might be safer.

Horizontal, I was taught 9" from each end and then every 2 feet, or what ever works out near 2 feet to keep the saddle spacings even.

That goes inline with my 600mm, and I too would goo 150mm either end :)

I hate seeing mis-spaced saddles! Us pro sparks get used to dividing in our heads (or have pencil working outs on the top step of our steps!)

Pipe clips for 22mm copper tube work just as well and are a lot cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back