22mm or 15mm

Right I am fully gened up now

spoke to the yappers this morning, apparently there was a revision to BS 6891 (relating to gas carrying pipework) in 2005 (clause 8.10.1) which now allows the use of PCV etc as a sleeve

Up until then you could only use PVC MDPE etc that was proven impervious to gas.

the powers that be have now allowed blanket acceptance of it all. YAY

Glad I was very wrong and chris I owe you a pint mate Nice One :)

Sponsored Links
corgiman said:
there was a revision to BS 6891 (relating to gas carrying pipework) in 2005 (clause 8.10.1) which now allows the use of PCV etc as a sleeve
That's funny, because the Corgi Essential Gas Safety book that I quoted from was last revised in October 2003! Perhaps a case of the British Standards trying catching up with reality?

thats true but prior to 2005 the bs number did not include waste pipe etc. as long as the pipe is to BS 6891 then it can be use for sleving

must say I think its a top idea.

as for the crushing bit JPC brought up the tech on the corgi line said that if the pipe was being crushed maybe the home owner had bigger problems than an unspuurtive gas sleve :LOL: :LOL: that tickled me that did :LOL: :LOL:

Now THIS is how the forum should work NOT two lads slaggiung the **** out of each other cos they dont agree

Sponsored Links
well u pair of utter wa&£$%rs...........

Just joking ;)

good info thx

Sorry JPC I wasnt having a dig at you mate, i was laffing at the corgi mans comments.

did u not read about the house collapse last week. well it wasnt a collapse........very nearly.

the house was held up by some 28mm copper that the plumber had used to sleeve a gas pipe.....luck for them i did the job !!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: ;)

Corgiman, have you not heard of emoticon inflation? The more you use, the more everyone else has to use to keep up, until we're all using hundreds of emoticons with every post. :!:

:oops:

chris hoists old corgiman on his patard once again

I would have got away with it to if it wernt for that meddling chrishutt :evil: :evil:

:LOL:

So to get back to the question , I'm ok then leaving it in the PVC :confused:

:D

Now to start another debate, I dont think i used the flux intended for gas instulations ? I went to local plumbers merchants today and asked .. He looked as puzzled as me ?

Cheers.

Mick

Yes the PVC is ok (shame on me)

as for the flux you must only use non active flux (traditional stuff). Powerflux, everflux are a definate no no

Why not powerflux ? I have used that in the past for other bits and bobs BUT i couldnt find it when i did gas pipes so i went and bought some new stuff..

does it contain an acid or something ?

it says on the tub, (new stuff) " Regular soldering flux paste" also has a few cert numbers

cert to ANSI/NSF Std.61
UK-wfbs approved

beause its AN active flux so can eat away the copper after heat has been removed from it (try rubbing it into a cut and see how you shout lol) how much green stuff do u have on your pipes??

I just use la-co non active for everthing

who makes the flux you used?

PS dont overly worry about it

No green stuff.... I read many years ago that flux should always be removed from copper pipes so i always get a cloth and give it a good rub once its cooled down :LOL:

Cant obviously get inside the pipes though... If its so damaging, why is it used ?

I suppose my cleanliness comes from my electronics background and PCB assembly that we always dipped to remove flux.

new flux is also LA-CO black tub with a red top

Cheers Corgiman...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back