22mm or 15mm

cos you can use it on the dirtiest ****tiest pipe and it will clean it and run the solder (invaluable when you are dealing with copper methusala installed ;) )

but should not be used on gas as it will erode the copper eventually (this is the same reason we can no longer use soapy water for leak detection) where as non active flux will not

well done on wiping down, not many people do it, as I said dont worry about it

some will disagree but how the heck is anyone going to know if you did use active stuff?

I dont think you did actually if i remeber the numbers right.

Sponsored Links
The one i used was the new one, same as the stuff you use... So does soapy water errode the pipe as well ?

Weird stuff this plumbing.. I thought my job was tricky and dangerous but i wouldnt like to put my name to a gas pipe that may corrode 25 years down the line :eek:

THATS why its a very very bad idea for you to do it in the first place, and all the luck of the irish to the poor schmuck who has agreed to commission the work of an avid DIYer and provide all the warrantees and guarantees of workmanship required

not a pop at you, fair play that a CORGI person is willing to do it, but as you can see from our tiny little snap shot of rules etc there is quite a bit to it.

Again not saying that you are not competent to do it but I think you are mad to do it

good luck

Corgiman,

Each man to their own trade but to screw a new boiler to the wall, extend 5 pipes 9 feet and give me a bill of £750.00.

That is what 3 plumbers quoted me all within 20 to 30 quid of each other... If i didnt know better i would say they knew each other :confused:

all said 1 days work.... jesus i wish i was on £100.00 per hour. Ok so a bit of pipe as well... I got all i needed for £75.00

End of rant :LOL:

I have no intention of messing with the gas other than putting the piece of pipe required for the gas through the wall so i can close all the loft space up and get it all insulated... Cant see any problem with the water side of it

Surely if you walked into a property to install a new boiler and the piping was there already, all that was required was to install the new gas feed, surely you wouldnt rip it all out and start again ?

I'm only asking the corgi man to guarantee his work... if i get a water leek the day after its comissioned then fair enough that is my problem and the corgi man and i have already agreed this.

Surely this is better than me doing all myself and not bothering about any safety whatsoever ? And yes i do know it goes on and probably will for a long time in the future.

If i could get someone to do the job at a reasonable cost then i probably wouldnt bother DIY ing it, but seeing i built the entire extension myself and unfortunatly have run out of capital it leaves no option. UNLESS you fancy nipping up to do it :D for £400 ish ..... Go do a good deed and you will go to heaven :D

Mick

Regards,

Mick

Sponsored Links
your choice mate

and as you said

"I thought my job was tricky and dangerous but i wouldnt like to put my name to a gas pipe that may corrode 25 years down the line "

you dont have to the CORGI bloke does so no harm no foul is it?

can see you point..... think i will remove gas bit and let him do that ? would that be more acceptable ?

Probably not

Mick

nowt to do with me what you do mate, none of my business I was just shooting the breeze with you.

do as you like, I have no opinion one way or the other

:D

Ok guys,

Finished off all the pipework yesterday. Came across what COULD be a problem in the future. There is quite a bit of corrosion on what i think is called the manifold.

:(
manifold.jpg

Is this a result of the "Active flux" that was mentioned earlier and should i replace the manifold while im at it ?

Here is a picture of the pipework going through the wall... I slid off the plastic waste pipe whilst i was using the blow lamp... YES i know the joist is a little charred :oops: The one to the right away from heat source is the gas.

pipes.jpg

Go on tell me its all wrong

Insulation would be nice - and legal like, on the water pipes, and there doesn't seem to be much room?

Any HW pipe rubbing wood is likely to squeak, so make sure it can't.

Pipe number 2 off the manifold has been leaking - if you can undo, apply LS-X and tighten up it should fix it. Bit odd that the others are green where they are - don't worry too much.

You'll never make a proper plumber by the way - far too many pipe clips ;)

Cheers Chris,

All pipe will be insulated with that sleeving stuff and i have since installed all pipe into plastic clips :oops: yes used more :p

Manifiold is uner bedroom floorboards... quite easy to get at apart from all pipes above it preventing too much access... What is lsx ?

is it just some type of lubricant ?

Notchin was already done like that ? I have only done the bit where the new pipes go about 3" wide the rest was already done, you can tell with the colour of the wood. Have no idea why as there wasnt any pipes there before i added them...

If you think that is bad you should see where the manifold is :( who ever installed the heating got really carried away. They nothched all joists in a line, even where pipes dont go.

It looks as if they said to the young lad " right were off for a beer, when we get back we want a line of notches so we can lay pipes" Well the young lad got carried away :)

Its the joist near the wall and doesnt take any weight so i assume it will be ok (fingers crossed) All other joists just have enough removed for pipe to fit..

imadethat.jpg

For any one interested, THIS has been my DIY project for the past 6 months. And yes I did it all Apart from dig the footings, I laid the footings Laid the bricks, cut the roof timbers, put the tiles on, and will shortly have fitted all the pipework for central heating boiler that will be located at the rear in the new utility room ( cant quite see that on picture)

I have to say though, getting a little fed up now, I'm glad i only need to render and fit the window then i can blitz the interior.

And ALL thanks to this site and information received from people kind enough to take time out to answer my questions...

CHEERS guy's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back