2A socket intended for phone use!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
That does seem very odd.

I can't see that MK would make the mistake of suggesting that the actual telephone circuit should be routed through a BS546 plug & socket! I wonder if it was intended for mains power to a telephone device - a base for a wireless handset or a PABX perhaps?

Back in the 1970s it was very common for Schools to use 2A BS546 socket outlets for the 100V line speaker system that allowed a 'plug-in' speaker in each classroom to receive the signal from a central radio receiver/amplifier. I remember listening to a schools broadcast of Radio 4 every Thursday morning using that syste,

It is not a telephone line socket but normally was used to indicate the socket was intended to supply mains for a small telephone switchboard

That does seem very odd. .... I can't see that MK would make the mistake of suggesting that the actual telephone circuit should be routed through a BS546 plug & socket! I wonder if it was intended for mains power to a telephone device - a base for a wireless handset or a PABX perhaps?
I agree. Furthermore, whoever (I'm sure not MK!) who wrote:

... Accepts standard BS 546 2 amp 2 pin + earth plug where 2 pins are used for telephone circuits and the earth pin is used to ensure correct polarity.
... does not seem to have understood that polarity doesn't matter for 2-wire phone connections :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
does not seem to have understood that polarity doesn't matter for 2-wire phone connections

There is still some telecoms equipment that is polarity sensitive. but yes the majority of telephones and ADSL modems ( routers ) will work what ever the polarity.

At one time telephone circuits were shared between two subscriber properties. The polarity of the connection provided isolation between subscribers. If you reversed polarity you could listen in on the other party's conversations :)

On a party line you could always listen in to the other party. Polarity was critical on party lines ( Shared service ) as the ringing current for the bells was applied across Earth and one wire of the pair. ( On a normal line ringing current is across the pair and no Earth is required ).

To make a call one wire of the pair had to be momentarily connected to Earth before the exchange provided dial tone. Which wire was Earthed determined which party wanted to make a call and therefore who should be charged for the call. Reversing polarity meant your call was charged to the other person's bill

You could use them for lamps, sometimes found in an old house, but 5A 3-pin is usual

I seem to recall the 2 amps being used for PA systems quite regularly in some circumstances too, particularly when there were 100 volt lines. The chapel my grandparents went to used one to plug in the microphone on the lectern.

Lots of opportunities for big bangs in the days when 2 amp plugs and sockets were more common on mains supplies!

I'm doing well actually. Had a can on my b'day last Tuesday and then it was New years eve and day. Smoking last fag was Halloween. Really trying to sort my $h1t out. Just awake too much.

If it makes you feel any better... I gave up smoking about 5 years ago. I have been eating about 20 nicotine gums a day since I gave up smoking.

Best of luck.

Back in 50's/60's we used to use 2A 2P for loudspeakers and 5A 2P for mains and most of our cables were 15-20m long. However we always carried spare plugs/sockets and knocked up some 2A to 5A adapters when we needed extra speaker cable, those adapters remained with our kit and even multiplied over the years...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back