3 year old valve just snapped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Got a phone call from a client today.

He had water peeing through his light fittings. On closer inspection he discovered that a valve that I fitted a little over 3 years ago had snapped.

It was one of these toolstation lever valves

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p64716?table=no

For no obvious reason the valve snapped at the non-supply side of the housing, the top end just sheared off, exposing the ball inside. Fortunately it had only been gushing (combi pressure) water for about 2 hours before someone isolated it by turning the lever.

The valve was a hot water feed to their Crosswater bath mixer. It wasn't under any undue stress and the bath hadn't been used for a number of hours.

I will post the images later.

Has anyone else had valves that just decide to snap for no obvious reason?

I am now worried about the cold water valve to the bath (which I have turned off).

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had an AAV that snapped at the body/thread junction, during the night on a refurb. Supplied from Plumb Centre. I had to fork out for some major replastering, but I suspect that I got stitched up.Intended to chase PC/maker (Flamco?). But I was so busy in those days, i just never got round to it.

Sponsored Links
The valve WP_20161213_17_49_54_Pro.jpg

The valve (two thirds of a way down on the right hand side). WP_20161213_17_53_06_Pro.jpg

You have to be taking that up with the supplier and/or manufacturer!
And change the others you've used there!

:eek:
Has the valve sheared, or somehow become unscrewed? Either way, poltergeist at work.....
Sometimes I wonder if we are given the full story with events such as these!
John :)

Has the valve sheared, or somehow become unscrewed? Either way, poltergeist at work.....

ye just what i thought , god these dam ghost!! :rolleyes: .

I went to a 15 mm compression coupler which developed an axial split.

Being on mains water it created about 2-3 li/min leak!

:eek:

It has sheared/snapped.

The pipe work is in a cupboard in the WC room. The clients aren't the kind of people that would tinker with things. I have known them for years and trust them implicitly.

As far as I can see, it just decided to fail. Either it was faulty or I overtightened it when I fitted it but I honestly cannot see how it could be the result of over tightening.

Very unfortunate indeed for all concerned!
The properties of brass vary enormously with the zinc content......low zinc and the brass is very ductile indeed, high zinc and its as brittle as glass.
I forget what the zinc percentage is to make it brittle but something tells me its around 50%. Best blame the Orientals again :mrgreen:

Have turned up with two new Pegler valves.

Effin ceiling is still dripping. I assume that the rockwool is slowly releasing the soaked up water.

Just popping out to pick up a saw to remove the plasterboard before it falls down.

Very unfortunate indeed for all concerned!
The properties of brass vary enormously with the zinc content......low zinc and the brass is very ductile indeed, high zinc and its as brittle as glass.
I forget what the zinc percentage is to make it brittle but something tells me its around 50%. Best blame the Orientals again :mrgreen:

It has sheared at a seam. I guess that the seam exists so that they could fit the nylon washer which prevents the ball rubbing against the housing.

No idea how they "weld" the bits together though.

I must say I've never made a study about it but I'd have thought the detached upper bit was screwed down onto the lower piece, holding the ball and whatever in place......brass would be soldered rather than welded.
Either way its certainly not your fault but I guess the punter realises that.....just a complete PITA. Failure after 3 years - are we ever in the clear :eek:
Bye bye profit for this day!

As ^^^^^^^^ looks like the thread holding the valve together has snapped.

I have had the same happen with cheap MI to copper connectors in 10 mm compression. (Not due to overtightening ) !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back