3 year old valve just snapped

That's almost certainly failed from either over tightening at the factory or poor thread forming. Given most of these valves are Chinese or Indian QA will be non existant or fraudulent. Nowadays though you can't even trust the quality brands...most of their stuff will be bought in too with questionable quality. Installed a Pegler mixer a while back...it wasn't much better than a cheap and nasty eBay tap.

Sponsored Links
That's almost certainly failed from either over tightening at the factory or poor thread forming. Given most of these valves are Chinese or Indian QA will be non existant or fraudulent. Nowadays though you can't even trust the quality brands...most of their stuff will be bought in too with questionable quality. Installed a Pegler mixer a while back...it wasn't much better than a cheap and nasty eBay tap.

Lots of Pegler stuff is now made in China.

It would be nice to think that Pegler of Doncaster would do Kuterlite or Prestex only in Blighty.......
I've had two 22mm lever arm valves that leaked from the word go. :(
John :)

Sponsored Links
I must say I've never made a study about it but I'd have thought the detached upper bit was screwed down onto the lower piece, holding the ball and whatever in place......brass would be soldered rather than welded.
Either way its certainly not your fault but I guess the punter realises that.....just a complete PITA. Failure after 3 years - are we ever in the clear :eek:
Bye bye profit for this day!

Yes you are correct, the upper part has about 2 to 3 mm of thread at a thickness of about 2mm and evidence of some kind of threadlock.

I showed the fitting to a friend who commented on the crystaline nature of the fracture. He thinks that it might have been poorly cast.

Will post photos soon.

In the meantime, I have had to remove about 20 square meters of wet plasterboard. At the lowest point it was bowing by about 8".

The solid wood floor below it has bowed upwards by 6 inches at the pinch point.

Tnx

Advise your customer to check out their insurance policy.
If they are covered for 'Accidental Damage' then they may be able to make a claim for the resulting damage to the fabric and decor.
I've had a couple of jobs come my way this year that were of this nature (failed plumbing component) and the 'plumbing repairs' were not covered by the insurance, but everything else was. Customers were happy to pay my bit, which was the smallest part of the whole cost!

Monkey metal= Mazak=Zamak......zinc rich alloys with copper, aluminium, and gawd knows what.
The composition of the base metal significantly affects the strength of the casting, and unfortunately Opps was the unlucky one to find out.
Unfortunately thin Zamak castings don't take screw threads well, as we can see and over tightening by him simply wasn't the issue. It's my bet the screw threads sheared during assembly of the valve and continual heating and cooling caused the failure.
There but for the grace of god go the rest of us......

Monkey metal= Mazak=Zamak......zinc rich alloys with copper, aluminium, and gawd knows what.
The composition of the base metal significantly affects the strength of the casting, and unfortunately Opps was the unlucky one to find out.
Unfortunately thin Zamak castings don't take screw threads well, as we can see and over tightening by him simply wasn't the issue. It's my bet the screw threads sheared during assembly of the valve and continual heating and cooling caused the failure.
There but for the grace of god go the rest of us......

I'm sure I know 2 brothers called Zamak & Mazak... last seen loitering at the car park entrance to B&Q in Kingsbury! :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back