300mm Distance From Opening Debate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I get a gas certificate done annually.

9 times out of 10 the gas engineer will issue the certificate without issue.

However on the odd occasion, I will get gas engineer who says that my flue is less than the required 300mm from the opening.

When I mention this to the engineers that issue the certificate, they say that the ones who fail it either don't know how to correctly measure or are hoping i'd slide them some money under the table for a pass..

Is possible to obtain documentation from an authority (like Gas Safe) which clearly states that the flue is at least 300mm away from the opening?

Or what else can I do, without modifying my existing setup

Sponsored Links
It's either 300mm away, or it isn't. The measurement should be taken from the edge of the brickwork opening to the nearest edge of the flue terminal

There is no pass or fail on a gas safety certificate, it is simply a record of what is found at the time of the visit, the defining distance from an opening is always stated in the manufacturers instructions for the particular boiler

I get a gas certificate done annually.

9 times out of 10 the gas engineer will issue the certificate without issue.

However on the odd occasion, I will get gas engineer who says that my flue is less than the required 300mm from the opening.

When I mention this to the engineers that issue the certificate, they say that the ones who fail it either don't know how to correctly measure or are hoping i'd slide them some money under the table for a pass..

Is possible to obtain documentation from an authority (like Gas Safe) which clearly states that the flue is at least 300mm away from the opening?

Or what else can I do, without modifying my existing setup

Has anyone refused to issue the LLGSR? If so, they are wrong and don't know the rules.

Unless there is evidence of products entering the property, most will be categorised as NCS, so no action actually required. If the flue was directly under a top hinged window, I would probably rate as AR, even though even that is not listed as such (*RGI comments on that?)

Sponsored Links
Update: just had the LGSR done and no issues with the flue.

The engineer even said that he was happy for any engineer to call him if they felt that the distance was under 300mm :D

He also said that it maybe worthwhile installing a plume kit to avoid any issues regarding distance in the future.

Nice chap.

Has anyone refused to issue the LLGSR? If so, they are wrong and don't know the rules.

Unless there is evidence of products entering the property, most will be categorised as NCS, so no action actually required. If the flue was directly under a top hinged window, I would probably rate as AR, even though even that is not listed as such (*RGI comments on that?)
No, nobody has refused

They just state that it is at risk and then proceed to explain how they 'can make it right' and the associated cost.

Thanks for the help

It's a completely subjective call by the installer...clearly 290mm isn't going to be an issue but I've come across many flues passing straight through the lintel immediately next
to an openable window where that may well pose a risk from undiluted combustion products entering the property.
Do you play safe, At Risk the situation, turn off, issue paperwork and loose the customer (or agent) forever? And no you can't seal the window shut either.

Gas-Safe/IGEM/HSE are little interested in resolving the problems of poor installations and it is us with our heads on the block should there be an incident.

Even the old category of NCS has been withdrawn, there's no official backing for it although you can still advise a customer.
It's your shoddy installation and your problem so don't go hard on the gas eng. trying to do the right thing...we're not all crooks.
Post a pic...

It's a completely subjective call by the installer...clearly 290mm isn't going to be an issue but I've come across many flues passing straight through the lintel immediately next
to an openable window where that may well pose a risk from undiluted combustion products entering the property.
Do you play safe, At Risk the situation, turn off, issue paperwork and loose the customer (or agent) forever? And no you can't seal the window shut either.

Gas-Safe/IGEM/HSE are little interested in resolving the problems of poor installations and it is us with our heads on the block should there be an incident.

Even the old category of NCS has been withdrawn, there's no official backing for it although you can still advise a customer.
It's your shoddy installation and your problem so don't go hard on the gas eng. trying to do the right thing...we're not all crooks.
Post a pic...

NCS has not been “withdrawn”, you just don’t note it on Warning Notices

NCS is, and always has been a non actionable category. IIRC, you never HAD to record or notify client of every NCS.

FWIW, I would note and inform the client of things like clearances to windows and "allowable" escapes. Mainly to avoid the next RGI saying "did the last guy not notice....)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back