40mm void at rear of sink base unit - seriously? WTF!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been looking online at a new sink base unit that's listed as having a 40mm void to it's rear? Is it 40mm, or is it actually larger in order to accommodate the compression connections etc? My existing sink waste pipe is slightly over 40mm anyway, with the various connectors being significantly bigger. I don't see how a new sink base with a 40mm void will marry up without some invasive surgery to the unit.

Is the 40mm void measurement only a nominal size that actually means it will be large enough to accommodate compression connectors that accompany a 40mm waste pipe? If so what size would the void actually be?

I have an unused gas valve on another kitchen wall that is 75mm proud of the wall, I'd quite like a base unit in front of it without chewing too much (any) of the base unit off to fit in front of it.

Thanks,

Dain

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It will prob be 40mm

If it was me, I would take out the back. Fit some battens and trim down the back to fit inside the carcase.

Then fit the unit without a back, cut the back as required and fit the back in through the doors.

I make kitchens sometimes and always make loose backs. Trying to cut out holes to go around pipework on a fixed pope is a pain.

If you havent enough space put your battens on further forward to clear.

Cut the back in 2 pieces to go around pipework.

It will prob be 40mm

If it was me, I would take out the back. Fit some battens and trim down the back to fit inside the carcase.

Then fit the unit without a back, cut the back as required and fit the back in through the doors.

I make kitchens sometimes and always make loose backs. Trying to cut out holes to go around pipework on a fixed pope is a pain.

If you havent enough space put your battens on further forward to clear.

Cut the back in 2 pieces to go around pipework.

I'm struggling to accept a base that has in no way been manufactured with ease of fitting being a priority. They can sling their hook if that's the case.

I'm struggling to accept a base that has in no way been manufactured with ease of fitting being a priority

Units can't possibly be made to cover every eventuality. Alteration of units or pipework is perfectly normal when fitting kitchens.

Sponsored Links
Normally you would have your trap in the unit and the pipe straight out through the wall via a small hole. The 40mm is more likely for your smaller water pipes.

If your waste pipes run behind the units could you not alter them to run under the units instead?

agree with denso.

OP, are you asking about pipe runs,supply or waste, goin across the wall or pipe stubs projectin from the wall or both?
anyway, its a basic bit of joinery to mark and cut unit backs - usuly for pipe stub holes usin a hole saw.
it can be done simple and neatly.
first fixin determins positions of all an any stubs before any units evev show up in the kit.

sometimes base units have to be savaged to accomodate what youve got, not just the unit backs but the top stretchers and rails for sinks an work top bolts.
you do what you got to do an do it neatly.

OP presume your a DIY'er but what makes a joiner or kit fitter is bein able tomake it work.

I would also expect the measurements to be accurate. Could be worse - IKEA units have about 3mm and are a real pain in the arris to fit!

agree with denso.

OP, are you asking about pipe runs,supply or waste, goin across the wall or pipe stubs projectin from the wall or both?
anyway, its a basic bit of joinery to mark and cut unit backs - usuly for pipe stub holes usin a hole saw.
it can be done simple and neatly.
first fixin determins positions of all an any stubs before any units evev show up in the kit.

sometimes base units have to be savaged to accomodate what youve got, not just the unit backs but the top stretchers and rails for sinks an work top bolts.
you do what you got to do an do it neatly.

OP presume your a DIY'er but what makes a joiner or kit fitter is bein able tomake it work.

There's the rub indeed, a diyer finds that by the time the kitchen needs reworking, the fittings have all moved on and are unfamiliar.

It's the waste pipe that I'm trying to make easier.

I might just get a base that isn't so deep, so I start with the base not being up against the wall.

Last edited:
I might just get a base that isn't so deep, so I start with the base not being up against the wall.
Getting base units with a service's void has its advantages (y). Tbh altering the back panel or incorporating an access panel is a common job for installers,no need to be a wood butcher.

Any redundant pipework behind the base units can be removed :cautious:

Getting base units with a service's void has its advantages (y). Tbh altering the back panel or incorporating an access panel is a common job for installers,no need to be a wood butcher.

Any redundant pipework behind the base units can be removed :cautious:

yes,but a 40mm void is good for not much when considering waste pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back