50mm Kingspan acceptable for inner single skin brick work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am currently converting my single skin garage into a useable space, I have already boarded and insulated the ceiling.

My next job is putting a timber frame on the wall ( 38mm x 63mm CLS timber ) DPC behind the frame touching the brick, then insulate between the frame ( 50mm kingspan ) finish it with 12mm plasterboard and a skim.

My question is, is this going to be adequate for the walls? I’ve read that you have to have around 150mm of insulation, according to kingspan 50mm is the same as 150mm of rock wall so would this be fine ?

Any help would be great, thank you

Sponsored Links
It won't meet current regulations.

50 between and 30 across the face might.

Thank you for your reply . Ahh i see, If I was to get bigger battons for the frame, what size kingspan would be up to regs ? 80mm? 100mm ? Cheers

I'd heard rockwool is half as efficient as PIR, so your 50mm PIR equates to 100mm rockwool.

What about just sandwiching 100mm PIR to the brickwork using battens on top... you can then use the battens for attaching the plasterboards, cables can then run in the gap.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply . Ahh i see, If I was to get bigger battons for the frame, what size kingspan would be up to regs ? 80mm? 100mm ? Cheers
No, the proposed battens are fine, you should not just insulate between battens, but insulate across them too to prevent cold bridging.

Go to the website of your chosen manufacturer and they will have the detail. The regulations changed last year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back