80mph limit on motorways.

Go have your cocco and take a chill pill.
In fact most drive @ 90+ What are you going to do about it? Have a pop at me on a website........................lol

Sponsored Links
It is a forum, your entitled to your opinion.
I have mine about you, so there you go.

The big danger is that the middle lane will become the 80 lane and the outside the 90 lane - yet the inside lane full of trucks doing 58mph? Too much speed differential - it'll be carnage. Not only that - the 10mph difference raises fuel use by 20%. The limit should come down to 60mph. One day it will.

People drive in the middle and outside lane regularly at 80mph now anyway. It will never come down to 60mph.

Sponsored Links
Confine lorries to lane 1 only. Then it won't matter what speed limit is in place for lanes 2 and 3.
The country would have less deaths on the motorway guaranteed.

Just for some reality on the speed limits as they stand.

The RAC reports 49% of motorway users exceed the speed limit regularly by at least 10mph.
So if you were to deduct the users limited to speeds and the few who actually abide to the limits strictly, the actual percentage capable of doing the higher speeds and who do is probably 95%.

So the roads are doing those speeds now anyway.

Whats the issue?

Or have all missed its another way the government have got all the do-gooders looking the other way :D

There are many misconceptions being banded about. Why was the speed limit introduced in the first place on the motorway? To save fuel.

So, the opposing Government saying we'll do a Jeremy Clarkson, wins votes.

The people that say 'Grannies and children will die aaarggghhh!!!!', they don't tend to walk on the motorway.

People that drive vans referring to the 2nd post in this thread. If you drive a van that is derived from a car chassis design, then you are allowed 70. If you drive a van, designed as a van, not based on a car chassis, 60mph only. Sorry. Even on a dual carriageway. I wonder how many van drivers actually know that? Or that you are allowed to drive at 70 on a dual carriageway. (not in a van)

The do-gooders that says speed kills, cars are safer than ever, it's stupidity and sleep that causes accidents. I've driven on the German Autobahn, at stupid speeds, they don't report a disappropriate amount of accidents or death, possibly less, due to the volume of traffic.

A worry is that a 56mph restricted lorry, would have the limit raised..I've been a drivers mate, and 56 is boring. But more in a sidewind? Braking issues? And the slower nature compared to the rest of the traffic, one truck overtaking another? I've been on a motorway, and twice seen trucks blown over in front of me.

But I drove to Liverpool recently, 60mph dual carriageway...I was bored out my mind, and seemed to take ages. When I worked, get a call, server down at Barclaycard HQ, in Bootle, 1 hour response time, most of the sw of Englands banks and atms are not working...I was probably there in 25 minutes. Or less. And before you complain. NOBODY that drives can say that they haven't broken the speed limit. 49% admit they have. The other 51% are liars.

There are many misconceptions being banded about. Why was the speed limit introduced in the first place on the motorway? To save fuel.

It was nothing to do with saving fuel. It was due to severe weather and foggy conditions, it was trialled on unrestricted roads and then put in place in the mid 60's.

It was nothing to do with saving fuel. It was due to severe weather and foggy conditions, it was trialled on unrestricted roads and then put in place in the mid 60's.

Until 1967 there was no overall speed limit, so that outside of restricted areas there was no speed limit. In January 1967 a new 'blanket' speed limit of 70mph came into force on all roads not restricted by other speed limits. This new limit put a stop to high speeds on Britain's motorway network.

In 1974 the Government introduced new speed limits to save fuel in the wake of the 1973 oil crisis. Motorists could now only travel up to 50mph on ordinary roads and 60mph on dual carriage ways. The limit of 70mph remained on motorways.

Found here:- http://www.retrowow.co.uk/transport/60s/motoring/classic_motoring_history.html

Think before you type yeah?

In 1974 the Government introduced new speed limits to save fuel in the wake of the 1973 oil crisis. Motorists could now only travel up to 50mph on ordinary roads and 60mph on dual carriage ways. The limit of 70mph remained on motorways.

Try having a read yourself first before you make yourself look like an idiot.

I have highlighted the parts in bold to make it easier for you to understand, we are talking about proposed speed limits on motorways.

The 70mph speed limit was set almost 10 years before the 1973 changes.

If 49% of drivers speed on the motorway then it's time to put speed cameras on the bridges.

People that drive vans referring to the 2nd post in this thread. If you drive a van that is derived from a car chassis design, then you are allowed 70. If you drive a van, designed as a van, not based on a car chassis, 60mph only. Sorry. Even on a dual carriageway. I wonder how many van drivers actually know that? Or that you are allowed to drive at 70 on a dual carriageway. (not in a van)

Micky, the criteria for a van to be restricted to 60 on a dual carriageway and 50 on a single carriageway is that the GVW is over 2000Kg and is taxed as a PLG... If the same vehicle was converted into a campervan and registered as a car then the restrictions do not apply but a van pays less road tax then the same vehicle that is converted..

The maximum speed for HGVs in the UK is actually 60mph but The EU have standardised it to 90kph or 56mph so in this country a lorry driver may legally allow his vehicle to roll down a hill at speeds up to 60mph without fear of prosecution however on the flat a HGV may not "power" itself beyond 90kph...

Any van or car traveling at less than their maximum allowed limit should instantly be vaporised.... Driving at 55 on the motorway effectively blocks off two thirds of the motorway all because one person needs to either be retrained to drive correctly or have their license taken from them...

I think its a good idea......many people drive at that speed anyway, and it isn't compulsory.....no one is forcing you to do it, you can still drive at 70 if you wish.

Modern cars are totally different now.....I am sure that I was not so safe years ago doing 70 in my Triumph Herald (which I loved), than I am now doing 80 in a modern Vauxhall Astra.

Have to agree with MM, its stupidy and sleep that causes accidents.....the 'I'm not moving for anyone' brigade who insist on driving at slow speeds in the middle lane, people who overtake on the inside, lorries that pull out regardless......

As I said doesn't bother me either way, people can do what they like.
Yes I know that most traffic seems at least to drive at 80 anyway on the motorway and I agree with pretty much all of the arguments on here that cars are safer.
The transport secretary Philip Hammond (any relation to the tit ,albeit a likeable tit, Richard Hammond?) has said that the increase "would generate economic benifits of hundreds of millions of pounds through shorter journey times".
But given that a lot of vehicals such as lorries, minibuses and some vans are limited anyway , to 55mph or 62mph, how exactly are they going to generate this new growth?
Seems to me both sides of this campaign are overstating their cases, there MAY be a small increase in road accidents and there only MAY be an economic benifit.
As to the suggestion about keeping lorries to the slow lane only- stupid idea which of course goes against Hammond's plan for economic growth. :rolleyes:
However, if the limit is raised to 80 and enforced ridgidly just think about how much money that would raise in fines :LOL:

But if you were to drive at 70mph in the middle lane you'd block the traffic. If you move into the 56mph truck lane then you'd be a massive danger to traffic travelling at 80mph plus in the middle lane when you came out of it to overtake a truck due to the massive speed difference. It won't happen anyway due to emissions.

Sponsored Links
Back