A heavy light fitting and a Victorian plaster ceiling rose

12 Apr 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I hope someone can advise me with this problem. We have moved into a house with handsome original ceiling roses, which I don't want to damage. The previous owners had some pretty chunky chandeliers installed, and in the centre of the ceiling rose there's an 8cm hole with a hook in it which seems to be attached to something in the ceiling to allow it to take the weight.

So far so good. But it means I need a light fitting with a hook at the top which also has some sort of decorative ceiling rose to fill the 8cm gap. I know the former owners had something like this, but I don't even know how to start to search for this sort of thing. Where should I be looking?

Thank you very much.

Sponsored Links
This is what it currently looks like, and what used to be there.


  • PXL_20210412_124315799.MP.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG-20210412-WA0001.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 219
for 8cm, just find a suitable sized plastic or rubber bowl. for a disc, a piece of pipe cut and taped back together would do?
Maybe one of those silicone things that you fry an egg in? cut it and resize to 8 cm.
lay it on foil with some flour and water dough as support - or blutack.

Buy a small bag of casting plaster and make a runny mix.
Bang the table a few times to get bubbles out.

Or carve one out of polystyrene
Sponsored Links
Thanks, but I was ideally looking for a whole rose/cable/lampholder arrangement that would hang from the hook and conceal the gap in a bit more of a decorative way.
The metal rose bit will likely come supplied with your new fitting, you just hook the fitting on and slide the cover up, obviously you buy a fitting that suits the size and is a hook type fitting, i take it you wanted a chandelier, if you just want a cheap white pendant then unscrew that old hook and fix the plastic rose to what that hook was screwed into , a standard pendants 85 mm diameter roughly, but will look silly


Or google PENDANT LIGHT FITTINGS for more fancy ones that you fit your own shades

What you have is a Hookplate fixed with 2 screws

New fittings will likely come with something like below, but you dont have to use it

Yes, I think thats right. Most lighting suppliers aren't that helpful about the type or size of fitting a particular unit has, though - we've ordered a couple and had to return them as they've come with a massive brass rose that you stick big screws through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links