A strange fault

Sponsored Links
768901C7-C2ED-4C73-841A-105BCFE994D5.jpeg

Took a bit of manoeuvring!

Sponsored Links
A little update, it has been decided to wait to do the changeover until the freezer is empty but in the mean time the trench has been filled in with the old armoured cable laying on top of the ground.

@RF Lighting It looks like the bend into the bottom of the board was probably the hardest bit, looks rather tight, but whats going on with the SYs...... (I don't like SY!)

@SUNRAY I'm reminded of an issue with some lights in a cabin tea room once, tripping out (I think the RCD and teh MCB as well sometimes - it was a while ago).Switch start fittings, circuit tested out ok on IR even on 1000v seemed to be one fitting in a small officey area at the end that was doing it as it was switched, but not every time. Stopped when the L and N were disconnected in the fitting. Ended up putting a new choke in it and the problem went away, old choke still tested allright on IR at 1000v, think I put it downto something like when starting the EMF in series with the mains was much in excess of what I could test at and allowed something to flash over, or the physical forces when starting closed up a fault that was not there when the windings were allowed to 'relax'

Tuesday and today we did the grand change over.
Red-E readings
1200Ω with multimeter, 500Ω @ 250V, 12Ω @ 500V, 0Ω @1000V

Black-E readings
>20MΩ, 1MΩ, 1MΩ, 400KΩ at same voltages.
upload_2021-2-25_15-15-1.jpeg

Can you see any obvious damage to the cable, or is it an internal breakdown?

Can you see any obvious damage to the cable, or is it an internal breakdown?
The 2 pieces shown are only about 4-5 ft long from inside the buildings and test fine, almost as soon as the cable was powered down the 100 plus metres was being chopped into handleable sized lengths and chucked into a dumper truck so we never stood a chance to look at it.

BTW that CI box is identical to the one with problems, the other is not pristine white flashgaurds, infact it's very horrible black and green.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back