Accreditation, notifiable work & other legislative pitfa

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm about to start working for myself and wondered if you guys could help...

I'm a plumber and have a good idea what I can and can't do without a competent persons scheme (it seems I can't join one until I've got 5 years under my belt) but I'm also doing a bit of general building maintenance.

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of things that are/aren't notifiable works? I'm confident with roofing, putting up stud walls, decorating etc and learning about the rest as I go.

I'm about to do a job re-painting a friends house and want to advertise off my tower scaffold, but not if it's going to get me into trouble. Do I need permission to block the pavement for an afternoon?

I'm getting the insurance sorted and obviously will be paying tax on my earnings but knowing what I'm not allowed to do seems like a minefield!

I'm also unsure whether I can fit solar thermal without accreditation. I have the relevant qualifications and could get a friendly plumber to sign off any new cylinder.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'm about to do a job re-painting a friends house and want to advertise off my tower scaffold, but not if it's going to get me into trouble. Do I need permission to block the pavement for an afternoon?
You will need a permit from the local Council if you are going to obstruct the pavement. I doubt if you will need a permit for your advertising board.

Read this:

Anyone intending to erect a scaffold or a hoarding, which encroaches on to a public road or pavement, is required under Section 169 of the Highways Act 1980 to obtain a licence from the Council. If permission is granted a licence will be issued together with a schedule of conditions that must be adhered to.

The Council will consider applications based upon the scale and extent of works being undertaken and the existing site, highway and traffic conditions. In some circumstances the Council can refuse to issue a licence in the interests of public or highway safety. It is an offence, for which the Council may prosecute, if you erect a scaffold or hoarding on the footway or highway without a licence.

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of things that are/aren't notifiable works?
The Building Regulations 2010 would be a good place to look - Schedule 4 lists those works that are not notifiable. The key thing (it comes up in the electrics forum fairly regularly) is to read down the list. If you find a statement saying your proposed works are not notifiable then they aren't. If you reach the bottom without finding anything applicable, then they are.
So, for example, there's a bit that (from memory) says you can add lights and sockets to an existing circuit provided they aren't a special installation or special location (basically kitchens, bathrooms, and outside). So you can add a socket in (say) a living room without notifying.
It also says you can replace any fitting<period> It doesn't say it has to be like for like, so even though it's in a bathroom you can replace one light fitting with a different light fitting - assuming it's suitable for the location.

However, the flip side is that you really need to be competent to do what ever work you take on. Electrics, for example, is more than "just a few bits of wire". For basic work it is actually quite simple - but there are many pitfalls for the unwary.

Without going into all

I'm also unsure whether I can fit solar thermal without accreditation. I have the relevant qualifications and could get a friendly plumber to sign off any new cylinder.

So your electrically qualified.
A plumber can sign off your electrics?
Your unsure about a scaffold obstructing a right of way?
A question, what does a stud wall require in noise or insulation regulations?

Its good to ask, but is this the first time?

[/quote]

Sponsored Links
To be fair, we don't come out of the womb fully qualified and competent for our chosen careers - and this guy is at least considering these things and the fact that he has large gaps in his knowledge. Admitting you don't know everything is the first step to being better educated.

The answer is probably along the lines of "that's what a good apprenticeship is for" - but that isn't perfect as a) you'll only learn about stuff your master does, and b) you'll learn all the bad habits from your master, and c) what you learn may well be out of date.

I wonder if any colleges that do "construction" type courses do any general "these are the regs" courses ?

To clarify:
I am a trained plumber (not gas) and have various experience with other elements of construction.
I am attempting to find independent work to supplement my subcontracting and have built a small customer base.
I am marketing myself as maintenance only as this is the work I consider myself competent to undertake and will not accept a job that I am not confident with. I hate the feeling of being out of my depth with no-one to get my back and will avoid this situation as far as possible.
I am trying to work out exactly what I can and can't offer given both my skills and applicable legislation so I am prepared for the phone call "can you just come and do this". I would consider it very unprofessional to respond "I'm not sure, I'll just go check".
I have read the IEE wiring regs guide to improve my knowledge and prepare for getting the qualifications some time in the future but have no intention of touching any electrics until I am qualified.
I have various associates in the trade that I can call on to do the jobs I am not qualified for.

Thanks Simon & D for your help & support.

I've checked out the Schedule 4 list and it's been helpful.
There seems to be no mention of works such as replacing internal doors, redecorating inside or out, replacing glass in existing window frames, timber decor such as architrave etc. Should I assume this is too minor to be included?

I've checked out the Schedule 4 list and it's been helpful.
There seems to be no mention of works such as replacing internal doors, redecorating inside or out, replacing glass in existing window frames, timber decor such as architrave etc. Should I assume this is too minor to be included?
Thankfully - for now, don't give them any ideas :rolleyes:

Replacing glass is probably covered by the energy efficiency bits - for straight glass replacement there'll be a clause along the lines of "no worse energy performance that before". For doors, just be aware (you probably already are) that some will be fire doors - eg protecting a loft conversion.

Back