Add internal sounder to Galaxy 2-12?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'd like to connect an internal sounder to my Galaxy 2-12 alarm. Some background...

The system was originally a monitored Galaxy 8 with only an internal sounder fitted. The sounder had 2 pairs of wires - a red/black pair went from H+ and H- at the sounder to + and - at the HOLD/SAB location inside the panel (rather than where all the other sensors got their power feed), and a blue/yellow pair which went from RTN and R- at the sounder to T and "picture of bell" in the panel. The sounder has a tamper switch fitted.

I've since swapped the panel for a Galaxy 2-12, changed the keypad and some sensors, and installed an external siren/strobe. The original internal sounder is currently disconnected. I've used outputs 1001-1004 for the speaker/siren/strobe, so how do I wire the sounder?

Can I re-use the old one?
Should the red/black pair be 12v feed to the sounder?
If so, then where should I pick up 12v on the panel, from the same 12v AUX as the sensors?
Do I use a trigger header output to activate it? (I note that 0003 is already set to INTRUDER)
If so, then do I connect the blue or yellow to it, and where do I connect the other one to, AUX negative?

Or would I be better buying a new sounder/sound bomb (not sure of terminology) and using it instead?

All input welcome :)

View media item 81780

Sponsored Links
Wire the old internal siren H+ and H- to the same connections as the new external bell box. Bell +12V and 0V. You can connect RTN via a 1K resistor to a spare zone if you want to detect tamper on the internal sounder. If not, leave disconnected.

Are you sure you're using the TRIG 1001 connection ? You only mentioned siren/strobe/speaker, so that's only 1002,1003 and 1004. If you're not using 1001, then reprogram as a bell output and connect to R-.

Wire the old internal siren H+ and H- to the same connections as the new external bell box. Bell +12V and 0V. You can connect RTN via a 1K resistor to a spare zone if you want to detect tamper on the internal sounder. If not, leave disconnected.

Are you sure you're using the TRIG 1001 connection ? You only mentioned siren/strobe/speaker, so that's only 1002,1003 and 1004. If you're not using 1001, then reprogram as a bell output and connect to R-.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still a bit lost (it's been a while, I'm rusty).
So H+ and H- supplies the 12v, R- triggers the sounder, and RTN is the tamper return?
When you say connect RTN to a zone, what's on the second connection of that zone?
You're probably right about 1001, I'll check.

As a side note we have the system set with Night Bells silent. I assume wiring as per your suggestion would mean the internal sounder would also be silent on Night Bells - is it possible to have the internal sounder active with Night Bells on silent? That's really what I'm trying to achieve by connecting it.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm still a bit lost (it's been a while, I'm rusty).
So H+ and H- supplies the 12v, R- triggers the sounder, and RTN is the tamper return?
When you say connect RTN to a zone, what's on the second connection of that zone?
You're probably right about 1001, I'll check.

As a side note we have the system set with Night Bells silent. I assume wiring as per your suggestion would mean the internal sounder would also be silent on Night Bells - is it possible to have the internal sounder active with Night Bells on silent? That's really what I'm trying to achieve by connecting it.

Yes, RTN is tamper return. The sounder will pull this to 0v when the tamper is closed. Insert one leg of a 1k resistor in the RTN terminal. The other end connect to a wire via a screw terminal and then wire back to the panel zone. You don't need a second wire into the zones 0V connection, as the sounder is doing that for you with its 0v supply. Set the zone as 24hr and descriptor as int sounder.

Set the 1001 output to Intruder instead of bell.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again,

You're right enough I hadn't used 1001 so I've connected as you suggest, H+ and H- to BELL and 0v, and R- to 1001, and set the output to INTRUDER. It works exactly as I wanted, ie the internal sounder activates irrespective of Full Set or silent Night Set.

The sounder seems to have it's own SAB tamper with a battery back-up (the green thing in the pic), which is probably about 13 years old, and has some white dust residue at the seams. I've clamped the tamper switch closed and removed the battery for now. Is this ok permanently, or should I replace the battery? If I need a new one what am I looking for - the only markings on it say 090 or 060, depending on which way up I'm supposed to read it. It's about 26mm wide by 30mm tall by 13mm thick.

I'm not worried whether it has a tamper or not, but if I do connect it, I'd like to be able to hold off the SAB if I want to decorate around it etc. Coming to think of it I'd like to know this for the outside siren anyway, if I ever need to change it's battery. Any pointers there?

Thanks again for your help :)

The only way to hold off the SAB is to supply power to it. Disconnecting the battery should not cause any problems as there's no fault output.

ADT only fit the internal SAB siren where they don't fit an external live siren - the reg's dictate this.

The only way to hold off the SAB is to supply power to it. Disconnecting the battery should not cause any problems as there's no fault output.

ADT only fit the internal SAB siren where they don't fit an external live siren - the reg's dictate this.

Sorry to take so long to reply.
Thanks for all your help, and reassurance about back-up battery :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back