adding a socket

jtw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I want to add a socket to a room, on the opposite side from an existing one. The easiest way would be to run it from the existing on, under the flooring (yet to be laid) and up behind the skirting on the opposite wall. I assume there are certain issues/regulations with doing this and appreciate any advice. Also, FYI there is a big french window on the perpendicular joining wall, which makes things a bit harder...Thanks![/img]

Sponsored Links
You can run a spur from your existing socket without any problem i.e. a single 2.5mm T&E run. Why are the french windows an issue? I can't visualise the problem. Nice to be able to do the job with the floor up though.

what do you mean by under the flooring?

in the void beneath a suspended timber floor is fine
between the floorboards and a floorcovereing is not ok
in a concrete floor you can channel but you should run in earthed metal conduit or use a cable with an earthed metal layer round theconductors (swa or pyro)

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies. the flat is a bit odd, there are 2 layers of plasterboard above the floorboards, and a further layer of chipboard - don't know why, sound insulation maybe (it's an old converted house)...anyway I meant to run it around the edge of the chipboard where there is a slight gap by the skirting, then lay laminate flooring - i guess this is a no - no.

the french windows are a problem because i would have to somehow get the cable up around them (unless I go via the floor route).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back