Adding an rcbo into a consumer unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a (yes, currently very messy) consumer unit. It's a standard BG dual RCD unit. I want to put a single rcbo in for an electric shower. If you look at the picture
IMG_20190715_194457_9.jpg

there's a busbar across the 6 rcbs to the RCD in each case.
I want to put in an rcbo. I think I shouldn't use the busbar because they're controlled by the RCDs. And I know the neutral goes to the neutral bar, but where should I get the line in from?
Any thoughts greatfully received.

Attachments

• IMG_20190715_194457_9.jpg
    IMG_20190715_194457_9.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 795
Sponsored Links
1: If you need to ask, you should not be doing.

2: That consumer unit and the way it is installed is a pile of junk and is best placed in a skip.

WHY does it need to be an rcbo?

Why can't you fit an mcb that is fed by one of the RCDs?

Out of interest, what are those RCDs rated at (in A)?

Sponsored Links
As you have rcd there is no value using rcbo unless space by main switch (there isn’t )

You could install an Mcb
Or as you have it, the rcbo if it doesn’t hit wires.

Live connects to bus bar prong.

The cu is in a new build, and we're adding to it as we work on new sections, which is why it hasn't been tiedied yet and why a number of MCBs are not yet in use. The picture was taken just after I put 2 new MCBs to n ahead of populating them today.

The RCDs are rated at 63amps.

So a suitable - say 40amp MCB would suffice, instead of an RCBO?

The cu is in a new build, and we're adding to it as we work on new sections, which is why it hasn't been tiedied yet and why a number of MCBs are not yet in use.

is it a temporary board on a self build? or in use in a garage or workshop....

I only wonder because the cupboard where its going obviously hasnt been built yet.

Id be guessing that you will get an electrician in when its being moved to its final position....

Either way Id like to think a pro electrician hasnt been involved so far o_O

The work is on a new build, is a work in progress, and will be tidied then tested and signed off on completion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back